VW 2016 - sluggish + PDF's are Huuuuge!

I'm running most current version of VW16 on a 27in iMac/El Capitan with 24gigs of ram and am wondering how it could be running so sluggishly? I've never had any version of VW run like this. Most noticeable on refresh rate when moving doc around or zooming.

Also, I am used to printing to PDF via the print dialogue - a fairly quick and simple deal - but now... not so much. Takes a while to happen and the files are gigantic! I've tried exporting to pdf, and same thing. I have also tried reducing file size via Preview, the file are still very large. They take a long time to open/render within Preview. Final result means mailing them to clients result in complaints cos they are too large.

Anyone else have these problems?

well PDF sice depends on the dpi setting in your viewports as well...check "edit.." (right mousclick on your viewport in the Navigation palette) and go to 144dpi that works most of the time quite well. if you need higher resolution and in any other case, there is my new fav. website www.smallpdf.com reduces size of PDF files dramaticly without any qualityloss and for free... check it out it is a great help to be able to email normal filesizes..

(reducing filesize in preview always messed everything up in my experience)

Edited by joerg
I'm running most current version of VW16 on a 27in iMac/El Capitan with 24gigs of ram and am wondering how it could be running so sluggishly? I've never had any version of VW run like this. Most noticeable on refresh rate when moving doc around or zooming.

I also run 2016 on a 27in iMac and a 15" macBook Pro. I'm on Yosemite and have much lower RAM numbers. I've been working with a 3D model of a 30,000 square foot TV studio with multiple 3D sets, and several hundred lighting fixtures in Spotlight with labels.

While it sometimes seems a little sluggish, it's certainly not bad enough to really pay attention to. Maybe there's an issue with your system.

Also, I am used to printing to PDF via the print dialogue - a fairly quick and simple deal - but now... not so much. Takes a while to happen and the files are gigantic! I've tried exporting to pdf, and same thing. I have also tried reducing file size via Preview, the file are still very large. They take a long time to open/render within Preview. Final result means mailing them to clients result in complaints cos they are too large.

I just tested printing to PDF a 36" x 48" of the entire studio with all of the sets and lights. It is 887KB.

I will note one thing, Preview SUCKS at viewing Vectorworks documents. It's absolutely terrible. Unusable. Use Acrobat.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a user here with an iMac almost identical to the one I'm using... but her's is extremely slow running 2016...it was fine with 2015 installed on it... I've opened one of the 2016 files she's been working on at my station and it behaves fine.... she has OSX10.10.5 on an i7 3.4ghz with 16gb of mem and an AMD HD6970m which has 2gb or vram on it...

Any ideas?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It CAN be user account specific, but this can be tested easily by creating a new fresh admin one and logging into it to see if performance changes:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/805/Creating+a+New+User+Account+%28Mac+OS+X%29

Slowness on one machine but not another that is similar in spec can also be due to multiple external displays and other things, but there are many items to check.

I uninstalled vector works, reinstalled, and created a new user, as well as disconnect her second monitor... same thing though.

I openen up the resource monitor and noticed Vectorworks was spiking the CPU to 100% when in was being slow on certain commands... most notably rotating things as simple as a centerline marker it will spike on her machine and sort of lag for a second or two

do you think its an OS thing... i'm about ready to wipe her machine with a format and fresh install of OSX to see if that will fix it? Any other ideas welcome...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It really shouldn't be, unless perhaps that OS was upgraded a through a number of versions of OS X, but just going by her hardware specs the machine shouldn't really be more than 3-4 OS versions old when it was released.

Make sure to get one of the files behaving that way into tech, we can test it on a few hardware setups here and see if there is something specific causing the slowness. I haven't seen any OS or 3rd party issues related to slow PDFs recently but it isnt impossible.