Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Marionette Objects and OIP

willofmaine

Is it just me, or does Marionette Rock? In just playing around with it to learn it, I've already created a very useful Marionette object. But I've also generated some questions...

Object Name: How do I name Marionette objects (and not their individual instances) so that they can be identified by worksheets, and with tools such as Custom Modification? (Much like a window is a "Window," regardless of the sizes and settings of all of the individual instances of windows in a file...).

Object Location: It seems Marionette objects, like symbols, have their own coordinate system (their own X,Y,Z = 0). Can the location a Marionette object's insertion point be displayed, and edited, in the OIP?

OIP Display: In my script, there's a mathematical calculation, the results of which I want displayed in the OIP. How do I do that? I can't seem to find the right kind of node.

Rise-over-Run: Is there a node that will take "y" (run) and "x" (rise) inputs, and spit out the rise-over-run as an angle, orientation, and/or radians? (I put together a script that seems to do that, but, in a larger network I can't get it to work (see attached)).

I think that's it for now...

Hi,

No you are not the only one that think it rocks. You should post some of the things you have created so others and learn from them. Don't be shy. I am not because all I learnt is from others here, and still a lot to learn.

There doesn't appear that there are any nodes to simply get the Sin, Cos or Tan of a number, maybe there is a way to get it by using Radians but the simple nodes would be good.

You also need to rotate around 2d or 3d points.

To get the items to show up in the OIP you wrap the network then convert to and object.

Sorry couldn't be more helpful but someone will resolve this as I would like these nodes.

If you look at this video and others on my channel you will see how to wrap networks etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2yU1CuEpDQ&feature=youtu.be

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • Marionette Maven

A handful of comments here:

Object name: I have an idea, but I don't want to share until I am positive on this. I'll get back to you if I have a solution.

Object Location: You're correct that objects have their own coordinate system. Unfortunately, I don't think there is currently a way to define the insertion point of the object. Again, if I find out otherwise, I will let you know.

OIP Display: Not currently possible. We can't even programmatically define values at all in the OIP, really. At least not the way we would need to in this case.

Rise over Run: I created a node that will take in a vector and create an angle. I'll link to it once I post it.

In addition, there are a couple of reasons why I don't believe your script is working. The most important one (and thank you for again bringing it to my attention) is that the Rotate node WON'T accept an angle (at this time). It's trying to query a list, and since you are using just a float value, it can't index it. I think there are also many other things wrong with the rotate node, but I haven't gotten around to fixing it.

A question I have - are you trying to rotate your rectangle about Z (in 2D)? or are you trying to rotate it in 3D? I only ask because I'm not really sure what you expect your outcome to be in this case.

If you are trying to rotate only in 2D, you can use the orientation input to the rectangle and use a 2D vector with your run as x and your rise as y.

I hope this all made sense, and ultimately that I gave you the correct information. (I mostly hope I'm just not wrong... :blush:)

Thanks for the responses!

Alan, I started to watch your video, but need more time to get back to it; looks like you walk through the script node-by-node, which I'd like to follow to the end.

Marissa, Marionette Enthusiast, at least one out of four (positive answers) is a start, I guess!

And I guess I was really led astray by where it says "ang" on the Rotate node...

Modeling sloped roofs, I typically start with a 2D eave detail in order to figure out exactly where the roof face needs to be. I also typically model all of my roof faces with the same VERTICAL thickness, so that both the top and bottom surfaces of roof faces with different pitches will always align where they join. Since roof face objects use normal thickness, trig or tedious drafting is necessary to figure out the correct Thickness to type into the "Create Roof Face" dialog box. So, I wanted to make an object that would let me easily set both pitch and vertical thickness.

Ultimately, I abandoned what I was originally doing, and simply used four lines to create a trapezoid, using rise and run to control pitch. See attached file. In the OIP, rise, run, vertical edge thickness, and total run can all be entered.

If you look at the script, you'll see a Dummy End. This should be the actual (normal) thickness of the roof face, which is what I was hoping to have displayed in the OIP!! But, alas, I guess that is not to be. So I guess my next step is to make it display with the Marionette object itself, instead (which should actually work pretty well, as it would be helpful to also display the rise and run right in the drawing).

As to your question regarding rotating in 2D vs 3D, I hadn't really gotten that far. However, when I placed this object on a vertical working plane, I got weird results after changing settings in the OIP (two overlapping trapezoids with different pitches...). I didn't have time to look into it further, but my first thought is that it might be a 2D vs 3D issue?

Thanks!

Will