Adding classes to gobos/ screen images

MSLD

Is there a way to assign classes to textures? I have lighting symbols that use specific textures as gobos. Is there a way to change the gobo by changing the class? I'd prefer not to have to duplicate instruments (as that screws up LW)

Similarly, is there a way to change the projector/ TV image using classes?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can apply textures by class, yes:

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2016/eng/index.htm#t=VW2016_Guide%2FTextures%2FApplying_Object_Textures_by_Class.htm%23XREF_17278_Applying_Textures

I am not certain if you can class gobos of instruments separately however, I know those textures have different rules than normal textures. For TV and Video Screen objects I believe you have to use the OIP interface to change the screen image, you could ungroup them and class the screen portion of the geometry and texture it that way but that wouldn't always be useful, especially if you need to alter the TV regularly afterward.

Wouldn't you just have the ones you want to use in your resource palette, then select the fixture/s you wish to edit through 'Find / Modify' and then input the gobo resource you want to use?

Hmm, I'll try that myself, pretty much think that's how I do it...

Edited by mjm

Yup, works just like that.

I am speaking specifically about the Spotlight lighting fixtures. It would be super cool if this kind of thing would work for Video Projectors as well.

Annd, why couldn't it? I have included a 'gobo' made from a scren cap of any old nonsense on my desktop and created a 'gobo texture' from it and selected that as the gobo, and voila!

Edited by mjm

What I'm trying to do is to have saved views or rendered sheet layers where i can show different gobo looks without having to select and change the gobos in the lights. If you apply a class to the light fixture, it won't take the texture as a gobo.

I have made projection 'screens' with stacked images in different classes which works, but it doesn't make use of the flexibility of the Plug-in.