Sign in to follow this  
PonyB

Image wrap on cylinder

I'm using VW2016 and I'd like to place an image on a cylinder - like a soup can. I'm sure it's easy if you know how, but I don't.

Any help please?

Select the cylinder, then when you apply the texture to it, in the Object Info Palette change the mapping option to Cylinder if it defaults to Plane or Sphere.

This covers a lot of the basics of creating the texture from an image, which is the most common way to make a texture:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1013/Creating+a+3D+Painting

This covers applying them a few different ways:

The only way I've been able to do this is to create a texture from the image, framed with solid boundaries, then apply it to a NURBS surface and tweak the scale and offsets. It seems like there should be an easier way, but I don't know what it is. Applying an image to a "2D object on the 3D plane" (whatever that actually means) is possible, but that would have to be based on a 2D primitive, such as a rectangle, circle, etc. I would love to know a better way to accomplish what you are talking about.

BTW, you can convert your cylinder to a group of NURBS surfaces with a simple command, then you can isolate which surface the texture applies to.

But yes, you will need Renderworks and to place an image on a 3D surface, you will need to create a Texture.

Excellent! I do have Renderworks so I'm gonna start working on it. Thanks very much!

Hello Jim,

Perhaps on a similar subject...

I have need to apply text to a curved surface, similar to the cylinder being discussed. Can I do this with text that has been converted to polygons, or do I need to go the texture route being discussed?

Thanks.

There was any (Rendering ?) Tutorial with a Cinema or Theater where this

was explained. It was a Text object, not sure if it had to be converted ....

If you are a Select Subscriber, you can find the Video under :

"Creating 3D Text"

https://serviceselect.vectorworks.net/training/how-tos/creating-3d-text?searchterm=3d%20text

I don't find that particular Video on Youtube.

It is linked from KBase as well but the link to the video does not work :

https://serviceselect.vectorworks.net/training/how-tos/creating-3d-text?searchterm=3d%20text

Looks like the kbase article was an older version that is no longer valid, removed the dead link, thank you for noting it.

Here's an image I did back in 2012...the thing in the lower left is cylindrical with several images wrapped around it...the 3D text around the top doesn't show very well...