Image wrap on cylinder

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Select the cylinder, then when you apply the texture to it, in the Object Info Palette change the mapping option to Cylinder if it defaults to Plane or Sphere.

This covers a lot of the basics of creating the texture from an image, which is the most common way to make a texture:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1013/Creating+a+3D+Painting

This covers applying them a few different ways:

The only way I've been able to do this is to create a texture from the image, framed with solid boundaries, then apply it to a NURBS surface and tweak the scale and offsets. It seems like there should be an easier way, but I don't know what it is. Applying an image to a "2D object on the 3D plane" (whatever that actually means) is possible, but that would have to be based on a 2D primitive, such as a rectangle, circle, etc. I would love to know a better way to accomplish what you are talking about.

BTW, you can convert your cylinder to a group of NURBS surfaces with a simple command, then you can isolate which surface the texture applies to.

Guest Wes Gardner

Here's an image I did back in 2012...the thing in the lower left is cylindrical with several images wrapped around it...the 3D text around the top doesn't show very well...