Custom Stair Tool

I'm attempting to stay positive, & please this is a mystery:

Can someone please tell why is there is a Class called Custom Stair (or something like this) and one isn't able to see it in the list of Classes, AND that is where these (bless-their-pointed-little-heads) Stairs live?

This is a really simple plan (not mine, I'm attempting to fix it for a colleague) and her stairs just go away!

Sorry but this & the other stair tool just have to go away!

Hi Jim,

The Custom Stair Class (in pointed brackets) refers to the current class the Custom Stair object is placed on. This means the parameter in question will take on the class properties of the class you place the stair on....

The stairs going away could be a couple of issues. (from my experience)

1. Check the Z-coordinate of the stair object and make sure it's set to "0"

2. YOU CANNOT COPY/PASTE OR TRANSFER PROPERTIES.... This is a huge disappointment, since time-saving and streamlined workflow are the one supposed advantage of the stair tools. Every time I've done this, the stairs start disappearing...

Cheers!

Dan

Sorry, I lied, the GD Stair is Gone! As I say if this were my project then I would not keep this really bad PIO in my file. This is a friend's file that I'm helping out with & they want to keep the PIO. They may not be able to because this tool is the Acme of frustration & foolishness.

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

Rid the world of the Stair PIO's and replace them with something that works. I would really like to send the good folks at VW an invoice for all the non-billable hours over the last number of years as a result of using this piece of Junk!

Sorry for the rant, but I have better things to do with my Sunday than wasting time with this GD thing!

Jim, which stair tool are you referring to?

The current Stair tool in the Architect workspace can be 2D or 2D and 3D.

There are three legacy stair tools which can be added to your Workspace:

- Custom Stair tool

- Simple Stair tool

- Circular Stair tool

The Custom Stair tool replaced the Simple Stair and Circular Stair tools. It was replaced by the current Stair tool.

VwI do improve the stair tool with each version. If you have specific needs submit wishes. If you find bugs submit them. That way it can be made better.

Stairs are very complex objects with many variations and sometimes you will have to model them from scratch to cover your specific conditions.

All of the above listed PIO's are bad. My pal was using the CUSTOM Stair tool.

Are stairs complex? Sometimes. In drafting class in the 1970's I loved the puzzle that is designing a stair. I worked on a stair 4 years ago that not only looked like a cork screw, but included a water feature pouring out of it. But illustrating most residential stairs need not be this complex.The various iterations of Stair tools goes to the heart of the debate that's been around this BB for some time. That is: Model an object or use a PIO.

More than a decade ago a stair consultant showed me the software they used ( I have no idea what it was) and they produced simple 2D stair diagrams (that looked like the ones in GRAPHIC STANDARDS BTW) as well as their shop drawings. I know that VW will never be everything to everyone, but ALL of the graphics outputed generated from the present Stair PIO's are an embarrassment for this software that, IMHO, leads the field in graphic representation of so many things in the field. Can one invest an inordinate amount of time getting better results? Perhaps. But these tools are not satisfactory; not by a long shot.

So I don't use these tools, other than, as I have said, as a helper with the arithmetic. That I was frustrated by spending hours helping a colleague on a Sunday with these shabby tools and vented my frustration on this BB is regrettable. However; my crit is valid and I stand by it. ALL of the Stair PIO's need to be put out to pasture & replaced with something that works as simply & elegantly as the rest of this delightful piece of software does.

BTW, It is also nice that the good folks here have amended the BUG reporting system to be more attuned to users.

Edited by Jim Smith

Jim,

Cant agree more.

Maybe each of the plugins have been purchased and maybe NC doesn't have a licence to alter them.

Bit like the Windoor plugin, only in Australia & New Zealand.

I remember drafting starting in 1971.

Computers?? what were they? good old tracing and pens.

A crash involve spilling the coffee, or catching the set square on the paper.

• Like 1

OK, Old Drafting Story - I recently pulled out one of my old plastic triangles. A nice big one, maybe 12"x12" 45°. It was new in the early 1970s or before. It appeared darker yellow than last time I looked (years?). It literally disintegrated in my hands as it came off the shelf. The slightest flex created myriad bits of plastic about size of lentils. My other triangles seem to remain clear and sturdy, waiting for the revolution so they can return to non electronic duty with my parallel bar!

-B

• Like 1

The stair tool definitely needs reviewing. If you go on some joinery websites you can form domestic stairs with a few clicks,. This type of stair is not that complex, VW need to make the tool easier to use including manipulating the winders, ballustrading and newel posts, perhaps go back to the simple stair but add more functionality. We copy & paste it from previous projects to avoid using the current stair tool, it easier to use and saves time fiddling around.

I see Mike refers to Custom, Simple & Circular stair tools, we only show one stair tool, within that it shows a circular option so I'm unsure what you are referring to a the Legacy stair tools??

I see Mike refers to Custom, Simple & Circular stair tools, we only show one stair tool, within that it shows a circular option so I'm unsure what you are referring to a the Legacy stair tools??

'Legacy' refers to tools that are no longer being maintained or updated and may not be automatically added to your Workspace. If you don't see them, you have to manually add them through the Workspace Editor.

See this previous post by JimW for the Vw definition of 'Legacy'.

• 1 month later...