How to make Projections behave more like lights?

djobbins

Hey guys,

I've been digging deeper and deeper into some of the weird and wonderful abilities of spotlight and renderworks. One of the things I am struggling with is the way projection screen images seem to be handled. I'd like to be able to play with a more realistic version of projections that will behave more like a light. The example that brought this up to me was trying to render and example of an effect with projecting onto a scrim, so the image would appear both on the scrim (a drape object set to scrim) and the wall behind it. I worked around this by making my screen image into a custom gobo texture and sticking it in a source four. However, I would like to be able to do it all with an actual projector object to express the aspect ratio etc, plus eliminate the need for confusing imaginary lights in the drawing that wouldn't exist in real time.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I would love this as well.

Just a simple projector that works in the same way as the light from, say, a Source four with a gobo in it, but which has attributes like the Projectors in the Video Screen tool. The video screen tool has parameters that make working with it great but it doesn't project light and I can't figure out how to not have a screen attached. I know you can hide the screen but then you have no image.

I could of course be missing something here...

Andi

Total Spotlight neophyte here, not sure how to make a projector, but but does this help with a GOBO (or is that what you already did?) :

Apply a transparency texture to a scrim object, eg a 3d Poly. Sample file has both a perforated texture and simple transparency texture. The light/image passes through the openings or is diminished in intensity by the opacity of the texture. Make a new image or Image Mask texture for the GOBO if needed.

In Sample File, select the "scrim" at front of stage. It's a 3d poly. In the OIP Render tab>Texture field, toggle the texture to try both the 80% Opaque and the Perf.... (shown). When the Perf texture is active, use the Render tab>texture scale field to adjust the "hole" size in the scrim and the shadow/light cast on stage behind the scrim.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=14467&filename=Gobo>Scrim.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

Hi Benson,

Thanks so much for there reply. Yup that's basically what I currently do but it isn't as easy to work with a lighting instrument as it is with a projector from the tool. Gobos, shutters, aspect ratios, orientation etc etc. There are a lot of things that are similar but having the lenses and figuring out throw distance and framing with the projector tool is really really useful and you can't easily do that with a source four.

I can use the same method as you to project onto multiple gauzes from the front but it all comes unstuck when I try to rear project onto multiple gauze layers... you don't see any image on the gauzes since you are looking at the side away form the projectors.. I am guessing different materials could help there?

Ah, projector object (independent of a screen) and rear projection. Both seem so obvious.

I'm surprised the projector has to be paired with a screen and Rendrworks has no texture or texture setting that makes light visible on both sides of a scrim like object. That seems unfair. So, wish list along with the projector wish?

-B