Master Textures file / Master Symbol Library

MJBfleet

Is there a way to have all my textures in one file and whenever I update a texture in that file all the vectorworks file with that texture in it gets updated?

Also the same with symbols or design viewports. Can i have a handle for a cabinet that would be the master file and if I updated the handle it would automatically update in all vectorworks files that have that handle?

Thanks

Yes and No ...

It can be done although not very elegantly using Referenced Files.

I say not elegantly because as far as I have been able to achieve, you must reference a layer (or multiple layers) containing all the resources (symbols, textures etc.) that you want to use dynamically which essentially bloats your files with resources you might not be using.

It will however allow you to update the master file and the changes will effect any files (on opening) using the referenced resources.

A warning however, as with any "referenced" files, if you move, delete, rename, the VW file or the objects contained the links will be broken and will require relinking.

I do use this method but what I do rather than having a single master document for all projects, I have a secondary file at project level where I copy the resources required specifically for the project I am working on and have that filed in the project resource file so if I need to move the project around on the server everything stays together, it also means the referenced resource file isn't so large.

I am sure someone has another solution for this but this works for me...