Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Loft Surface Node

AlanW

Hi,

In the following lofting example I have offset contours and would like to loft these and I need to ungroup the offset nurbs curves to loft them but it appears the Ungroup Node is not working. If you add the last loft Nurb the curves vanish.

I have copied the resultant curves manually, ungrouped and lofted them and all ok.

So weird, manually ungroup works to loft. ungroup in Marionette does not work but adding the group node again works.????

Any ideas???

Also what would be a good way to select the individual curves and either move or scale each one?

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Thanks for this Kevin, Its really interesting looking at the different ways people go about creating an object. Would never considered doing it the way (in that post) but at present it is all about understanding what Marionette does.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Hi,

Understanding this network downloaded from above post, BUT, the NURBS surface works but when I switch over to a NURBS Curve I have an instant crash.

I was reading the Get Point as Index 1 was for NURBS Curves and Index 2 for NURBS surface.

Could you let me know where I am going wrong please?

Thanks

I am beginning to feel rather dumb asking all these questions and no one else is. Is everyone else getting all this or is it only me?

This is quiet interesting for some side learning.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/linear-algebra/vectors_and_spaces/dot_cross_products/v/normal-vector-from-plane-equation

Also interesting variations in shapes you get when you simply adjust the direction of the contours in this network.

Edited by Alan Woodwell
I am beginning to feel rather dumb asking all these questions and no one else is. Is everyone else getting all this or is it only me?

Alan, I was asking lots of questions back in September/October when I was experimenting with Marionette. It is complex and not quite finished development to the stage many of us need. There also isn't proper documentation. I became busy and put it aside for a while so that some of these issued could be sorted out. I will be experimenting and asking questions again when I have more time...

Please don't stop asking things. I really enjoy reading these posts and the replies.

Kevin

(They're going to have to step up documentation/development or they will lose the cross platform visual scripting battle. NV were the first in beta (I would call the release beta) but now there is a beta version of Grasshopper (Rhino) for Mac which is being aggressively moved forward. McNeel has an advantage because all of the online tutorial materials for the Windows version, which are vast, directly apply to the Mac version.)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Do not stop asking. There is a rule commonly referred to as the "1%" rule for online communities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule_(Internet_culture)

This holds pretty true for our community board here (Though its about 5-10% in our case depending on the month). A huge number of users whom have never posted regularly -or at all- view these posts on a highly regular basis. A lot of this in marionettes case is due to the lack of documentation I have no doubt, but a large portion of it can be attributed to the bias for people to err on the side of NOT asking questions. But they are watching and they are reading and learning from every question asked and every mistake made here on both sides.

Please continue to poke at us for information. I can't help a great deal with Marionette specifically (yet) but fear not, large amounts of resources are being aimed at this section of the application now and any discussion that occurs here will help shape Marionette as we keep developing it.

Hello all,

I'm also experimenting in using the loft node.

In the menu of Vectorworks, there is a lot possible when making surfaces out of curves. I tried six different ways of making a surface out of curves. For two of them I succeeded when using Marionette, for the other four I have no idea how to.

I hope someone can help me with this. See the file for details.

Ruud

I know these options exist, but these are not where I'm looking for. In the top menu you can also chose between "No Rail Mode, One Rail Mode, Birail Sweep Mode". I'm looking for these options. I don't know if have to activate them with a different function, or to use "SetRfield".

I know these options exist, but these are not where I'm looking for. In the top menu you can also chose between "No Rail Mode, One Rail Mode, Birail Sweep Mode". I'm looking for these options. I don't know if have to activate them with a different function, or to use "SetRfield".

I don't think you can. The node uses the CreateLoftSurfaces Vectorscript command which seems to only create a loft from cross section curves - http://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php/VS:CreateLoftSurfaces

Unfortunately in many instances the Marionette nodes are not the same as VW tools which are custom coded.

Kevin

just testing this out it appears that it automatically does the various options based on which nurbs curves you choose.

The last one cant figure as it appears to create 2 separate Curves.

It says that they will be lofted in order of connecting to the group.

HTH

Hi Patrick.

It closes if you use 1 and not -1 in your wrapper (Remove the duplicate Angle).

If you check your output from your Split Circle Angle you only have 9 finishing at 234 degrees and you need to close at 360 to complete the circle.

Well that's how I see it.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell