Autocad --> VW 9.5.1 DWG import problem

Hello everyone,

Can you help us with the following problem. We have an DWG file created in Autocad (version unknown). The DWG file contains a floorplan of the first level of a hospital, which is build up by walls, windows and doors.

We use VectorWorks 9.5.1 professional edition for Macintosh.

The problem is that the complete drawing consist of lines. Therefore they loose their fill.

But what is worse, we have to fill the walls, windows and doors again with colors. It is a hugh time consuming operation. So here are our questions which we cannot solve on this moment.

1. How can we quickly fill those walls, windows and doors with their specified colors?

2. Is there a fast method of making again closed objects from all those lines so we can add a fill to it?

3. What is the reason why those objects are build up by lines (not connected) after the DWG import?

We succeeded to move the walls, windows and doors to a separate layer by choosing "Custom selection", nevertheless we do not succeed in finding an easy way to connect all the lines belonging to a particular wall and create a closed object which can be filled.

I will appreciate it very much if you can help us with this problem. In the meantime I thank you in advance for the time spend on our problem and I wish you a very nice day.

Friendly greetings,

Chrissy

Dessel

Belgium

Europe

email : stargate@meetromania.info

[ 05-10-2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: StarGate ]

How did you import those DWG files? - 2d olny, 2d and 3d, or 3d only?

Finding the version of AC file is helpful also.

You can use combine into surface to give a surface to objects such as 4 lines in the shape of a square/rectangle.

Connect combine tool can connect a line to another line, leaving a polyline which can then be given a solid fill in the attribute palette. You can then convert it to a polygon if you want.

Hello Katie,

Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate it.

We imported the autocad file as 2D only. Regretfully we do not know the version of AutoCad. I will try to find out.

When I find out the version of AutoCad, I will reply again to this post.

I wish you a very nice day.

Friendly greetings,

Chrissy

Dessel

Belgium

Europe

email : stargate@meetromania.info