VW2016 Geometry disappearing when editing a Symbol

Hi All.

I would like to edit the red/green/blue/black electrical wires' paths in this symbol (which I built myself in VW2016). But somewhere along the line after I grouped those wires together and tried to scale the group shorter in the direction of the wires' length, I noticed them disappearing all together when I enter the Symbol, now I can't edit or select them at all :( Does anyone else get the same?

All classes and layers are turned on, all set to show snap modify others. I have tried different rendering styles.

Edited by CarlJdP

If I convert the symbol to a group > then ungroup, then the group with the electrical wires become available again -> so then I copy > paste that into the original symbol, but now that group has disappeared every where:

- it disappeared in the symbol into which I pasted it

- AND the original group outside of the symbol also disappeared

- there is no instance or record of that group anywhere in my file

- AND it does not come back if I undo

I feel like crying :'( is there anyway to repair this symbol? The only way to recover that geometry was to go copy it from an earlier version of the file, but even if I do, it disappears again when I paste it into the symbol.

Yes it seems so. I just re-created the extrudes and then got the same disappearing behavior - I think I know the order of events causing it:

> Create Curved Polyline

> Create Profile To extrude

> Extrude Profile along Polyline path

> I TRY to asymmetrically scale the Extrude about the X-axis to fit to other geometry, BUT the operation FAILS!

> When I go into the Extrude to edit the path, the path suddenly gets scaled down to what I originally wanted.

> When I TRY to exit the extrude I get: INVALID OBJECT, WOULD YOU LIKE TO DELETE?

So I assume the extrude object was deleted from the symbol, but was not removed/refreshed from what is drawn on the screen once I exit the symbol?

It is kind of like the ghost copies of lighting-instruments that remain on the screen long after they are deleted, no longer selectable, but still drawn where they originally existed - un till I right click > refresh lighting instruments..

Does this qualify as a Bug? @JimW

Edited by CarlJdP

Right, so I have fixed my symbol, the corrupt extrudes no longer appear when either viewing or editing the symbol..

Just as I thought my troubles were over, I created a viewport on a sheetlayer.. and behold, the old ghostly extrudes which are now deleted in the design layers, reappears in the rendered viewport.

First I couldn't get the extrudes back, now I can't get rid of them :(

Hi,

The EAP items were the problem, the Object was a flat polyline and not a circle, so when you edited it it was illegal.

The file attached I redid the wires from scratch and all seems to be ok.

They must have got corrupt somewhere along the line.

Hope this works for you.

Nice model by the way, simple but clear.

Thanks for the help Alan, seems that my original symbol is now also corrupted - with the corrupted geometry rendering through a viewport, but not in any design layers.

When does a EAP become corrupt/invalid? As I understand it one should be able to Extrude any flat 2D profile (polygon, polyline, etc) along any 2d/3d polyline or nurbs curve.

Did the Profile become non-flat when I tried to Scale the EAP? should I rather in future Convert to Generic Solid and then Scale?