counting symbols within lighting positions

acdeslx

Is there a way to include lighting symbols that have been used to create a "lighting position" in the summary count?

If I draw a 20 pieces of truss or pipe and convert that into a lighting position then I can no longer count the number of pieces when I use the "instrument summary tool".

The pieces of truss that aren't set up as a "position" can still be counted.

Any ideas or suggestion for a better way to include truss or pipe in the summary tool count?

Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You will not be able to do it in the instrument summary but you can count them in a worksheet.

When you make the worksheet criteria check the option to "Search in plug-in objects". Depending on how you made the lighting position you will also need to check "Search in symbols"

Your criteria should look something like

=DATABASE((INOBJECT & (T=SYMBOL) & ((S='B Type 8''') | (S='B Type 4'''))))

Thanks, Kevin.

I appreciate the workaround but it would really be nice to have it in something visible and "updateable" on the drawing itself.

Along the same lines, is it possible put instruments in a layer or class where they are NOT counted in the instrument summary?

I need to create a view where some lights are actually shown vertically on booms (for rendering) and another one where they are shown pictorially with measurements on a PLAN view for the actual plot.

Or do I need to make two different drawing files?

Edited by acdeslx

Along the same lines, is it possible put instruments in a layer or class where they are NOT counted in the instrument summary?

I need to create a view where some lights are actually shown vertically on booms (for rendering) and another one where they are shown pictorially with measurements on a PLAN view for the actual plot.

Yes, you have a lot of control over what gets counted in the Summary. At the bottom of each summary's Object Info is a Filters button. In addition to restricting to multiple positions (e.g. only FOH), you can filter by layer, class, or custom selection criteria.

Spotlight does have a method to prevent you from having to have duplicate instances of these units -- search the forum for "Create Plot and Model Views". It's by far a perfect solution, and your method may be faster for you, but worth seeing if that workflow is right for you.

-Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Joshua, that's great -- I never saw those filters.

Kevin: Could you give me a bit more detail on how to do that.

I'm creating a report (using the command under the Spotlight drop-down) choosing symbols as Lighting Device, choosing the "search in symbols" and "search in plug-in objects". It brings me up a report but no truss is listed.

If I create a new column, add the criteria to row 2 (yes, I am looking for "A Type 8'") then all it does is fill the column with "False".

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Edited by acdeslx

Your method should work. This all assumes that you convert each truss symbol to a lighting device. This is a little unconventional, but it should give you a count.

Incidentally you can use this method to get the count using the Instrument Summary and a custom criteria.

- With the Instrument Summary selected, choose Filters... in Object Info

- Click on the Custom tab, and click the Criteria button

- Provide a filter that will find the Truss. If you want the truss included with other lights, choose Record Lighting Device is Present. If you want a separate summary for just the truss, try Field Value Lighting Device-Instrument Type = 8' Truss (or whatever you have the type set to)

- Select the Components of Symbols and Plug-in Objects option

The summary should now look inside your Light Position Objects for counts.

-Josh

Okay, this is driving me insane. I must be missing something with regards to truss counts.

Here is what I am trying:

- Create a stick of truss using the truss tool

- make that a "symbol"

- convert that to a "lighting instrument"

- use the lighting insertion tool to put 3 pieces on the drawing

- put all four pieces in a group

- convert to "lighting position"

- give it a name and choose "create symbol"

- I then insert an instrument summary

there are no symbols shown in the build list

I go into "filters' and choose the following criteria:

RECORD --> LIGHTING DEVICE --> IS PRESENT

RECORD --> LIGHTING POSITION --> IS PRESENT

Symbols and Plug-in objects are both selected

It indicates that there are 3 symbols that match the criteria.

How do I find out what those objects are? I assume those are the pieces of truss.

Thanks.

Yes, those should be the pieces of truss. If you create a regular worksheet, you can enter a similar criteria and see whatever info you want. For the truss to show up in the Summary, use Lighting Symbol Maintenance to add the symbol (the individual truss symbol) and give it default data. You should then be able to add it to the Summary, though it may be in the unused section.

You should see the same result whether you use a symbol as the basis for the position or embed the geometry.

FYI the criteria dialog is a bit quirky with Boolean operations. Criteria of the same type are treated as OR, while different types are AND. You example is looking for the Lighting Device OR Lighting Position record, the latter having no effect on the summary.

-Josh