Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Watch Node?

Armadillo

Hi everyone,

New guy here.

I was wondering if there was a Watch Node or something similar in Marionette. In Dynamo there is a Node called "Watch" and it will display the output value(s) of the Node that is connected to its input port.

When we have a list of values this is very useful. It is even useful when we have lists of lists of values.

Is there some way to achieve this in Marionette?

• Marionette Maven

In Marionette, we have a "debug" mode, which you can activate by clicking the ladybug-looking icon in the mode bar while the Marionette Tool is active.

While Debug Mode is active, if you click on a wire (it will highlight in red, if you're selecting it properly), a dialog box with all of the data flowing through that wire will be displayed.

A node to print this list to a text object in the document is in progress (I just want to check it over a little more before I share it), and I'll post it here when it's ready.

Marionette's Debug mode is useful, if somewhat confusing to use, but it's not as good as a simple 'Watch' node would be. It also involves many more steps (turn on Debug, click on the wire, turn off Debug, change the Node's values, repeat).

Because of the current scale issues (Marionette being 1:1), a node that prints to a text object on a DL sounds like a lot of zooming in and out between the Marionette network and the text object. Plus, if it prints the entire Debug output from a whole Marionette network into one text object, it may get a little confusing about which Node has which value.

• Marionette Maven

In the case of the "Print List" node I was mentioning, it would only output the values from the node it's attached to, much like how the "Text" node would function.

The difference between the "Text" node and the "Print list" node would only be that for the "Text" node, a new text object is created for each item of an input list, whereas the "Print List" node would concatenate the values onto their own separate lines.

This isn't really a feature specific to debugging, it's just another way to view the values being transferred through a wire.