Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Relationship between Marionette, Python, and standard programming languages

P Retondo

Jim, after looking into it I can see that Python, though not directly compilable, is a programming language, not a macro language. This helps me adjust my approach to following the online demos - I need to stop thinking in C++.

Speaking of which, I asked the question, "how do we know the type of an argument" based on my knowledge of C, where variables are declared with a type, such as "Int". Now I understand that variables in Python are not declared with a type - or at least that appears to be the case from a very cursory look at things. I guess I'll figure out along the way how that works. In C, if you reference the wrong variable type when calling a function, that results in a compiler error that is explicitly called out. Not sure what happens when you plug in a real number in a Python / Marionette function that needs an integer.

Edited by P Retondo

Python is a "Dynamically Typed" language. Values are typed, not variables. So, you can assign a value of any type to a variable x for example and then later assign a value of a completely different type to x. What this implies is that there is no static type checking during compilation, it is done at run-time. This allows you a lot of freedom in your code. The drawback is that you will not catch these type errors until the program is run.