Context Menu & Info Properties Dialogue Box Layouts

willofmaine

Question

When right-clicking on an object that's near the bottom of the screen, I wish the Context Menu that appears would automatically move up so that it's fully visible on the screen. As it is now, it's often necessary to scroll down within the menu to access the desired item.

When activating the Properties Dialogue Box, particularly for component dimensions of "chain" dimensions (which seems to be the only way to edit them), the Box is always very small, and it's usually necessary to either stretch the Box to a larger size and/or scroll to access the desired fields. Unless there's a way to set the default size of the Properties Dialogue Box, I wish it would default to a much larger size.

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It looks like this is already occurring, however the threshold for how close you need to get to the bottom is too small. (White arrows showing click location since screen capture doesnt include cursor)

Click very close to bottom:

[img:center]https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=14083&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-01-20%20at%203.45.20%20PM.png[/img]

Click somewhat close to bottom:

[img:center]https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=14084&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-01-20%20at%203.45.25%20PM.png[/img]

Submitting a request to have this threshold increased.

Thanks for fixing the Properties Dialogue Box for component dimensions of "chain" dimensions.  It's much improved!!

Now... what about about context menus when right-clicking on objects that are near the bottom of the screen?  It seems this still hasn't been addressed.  I guess the threshold you're describing above is still too small, but it kinda seems to me it's more a question of the size of the menu to be opened than how close one is to the bottom of the screen?  As in, if the menu won't fit in its entirety, it should automatically move up so that it does completely fit, without having to scroll down, and regardless of how far one is from the bottom of the screen when right-clicking.  (And, yeah, all this time and I've yet to train myself to work higher on the screen...).  It would be great if this could be fixed, too!   VWIS066

• Like 1

With 2019 SP3, it doesn't seem like the threshold for activating context menus has changed, but, again, I think context menus should always move up as necessary so that they fit entirely on the screen, without making it necessary to scroll in them, regardless of where one right-clicks on the screen (i.e., within the "threshold").  With the threshold approach, not only is it necessary to click within a certain distance of the bottom of the screen, but, it's also necessary to first make sure that whatever you're clicking on is also within that certain distance of the bottom of the screen...  It really seems it should be function of the menu size, not where one clicks...

VW2020.  Almost three years later.  Please make it so that when we right-click near the bottom of the screen, the entire pop-up context menu is entirely visible, without having to scroll down within the menu.

I don't really understand the need for a "threshold:" if the bottom of the menu will be off the screen, have the software move the entire menu up so that it's all visible.  Regardless of how closely to the screen edge one right-clicks...

VWIS066