Workflow Optimization

RoboSawa

Question

I've been using Vectorworks for about 2 years and there's a small thing that's been bothersome to my workflow:

When working on a Vectorworks file and choosing to "Save As.." in order to Rev up the filename, the software doesn't inherently remember which folder the active file is from. Instead it takes me to the folder where the last document was saved. When working on multiple files, this could mean that Vectorwors takes me to Project A folder, when I'm trying to save Project B.

When I'm in a rush and don't remember to verify the folder it's saving the file to, I've "lost" the current revision of a file, only to find it days later in another folder, or have to run a search to locate it.

Could it be possible to update the Vectorworks software to find the folder that the active file is located in, when selecting the "Save As.." command?

If not, maybe there are some tips out there on how I can level up my workflow to avoid this complication.

10 answers to this question

I've been using Vectorworks for about 2 years and there's a small thing that's been bothersome to my workflow:

When working on a Vectorworks file and choosing to "Save As.." in order to Rev up the filename, the software doesn't inherently remember which folder the active file is from. Instead it takes me to the folder where the last document was saved. When working on multiple files, this could mean that Vectorwors takes me to Project A folder, when I'm trying to save Project B.

When I'm in a rush and don't remember to verify the folder it's saving the file to, I've "lost" the current revision of a file, only to find it days later in another folder, or have to run a search to locate it.

Could it be possible to update the Vectorworks software to find the folder that the active file is located in, when selecting the "Save As.." command?

If not, maybe there are some tips out there on how I can level up my workflow to avoid this complication.

As far as I know you can't.

I even tried overwriting the settings (saved in the user XML file) for these paths, but VW overwrites them on quitting anyway, so there is no use.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Submitting request now.

This happens in a number of locations, but not consistently in all cases. It can behave different with Save, Save as, Open, the various Export format commands and a few others. Generally, it should keep each command type linked to the last used location for that document for that action with a few exceptions like first SaveAs use per document and not be reset each session.

As a work-around until it gets fixed in VW you can use a 3rd party utility like Default FolderX to set a specific default folder for any app, including VW. Also has a lot of other useful features such as Favorites, Recently-Opened, etc., all accessible from within any open/save dialog box. I like the Sets feature, allows you to configure arbitrary Sets of bookmarked folders which you can switch to using a keyboard shortcut.

I.e. "Current Design" set might take you to a set configured to show the top folder level for all active design jobs.

There is also a handy "last-visited" feature, you can hit up-arrow and it will take you back to the folder you selected *the previous time* an open/save dialog came up.

I've been using Default FolderX for many years and have found it to be reliable, very stable, and well-maintained.

Edited by Gilbert Osmond

+1 for VW Fix

Remember path of the File for save as

+

Remember all different paths for things like :

Import/Export/Save Image/...

Default Folder is not perfect and has also problems when using Spaces.

When I bought it I thought it would remember app related paths as described above.

For me it worked only by setting Favorite Folders.

And that is what I do now in OS X Finder side bar itself.

VW's last open Folder approach fails when opening Files from Finder or

when opening Backups from the Backup Folder.

So I better vote for a Project Configuration where you can assign paths for

Files, Exports, Textures, Symbols, ....

Which will still work accordingly when switching between projects.