DWG Import Issues with Missing XRefs

Erica E

Question

I am having issue trying to import DWG files for a venue. The error pop up says: "The following xrefs (external reference files) were not found in the folder as the master file, so they will not be included in the import" and then lists the xrefs.

How do I fix this on my end or what should I asked the venue rep to send me so that I do have the correct information.

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Do you have the referenced files or just a single DWG?

Normally you would make sure that the DWGs folder also contained any xrefs, but if you were not supplied with them, then either you would need to get them from the venue rep or verify with them that the references are not important to what you'll be working on. Though generally they are needed.

Thanks Jim.

Single DWGs... no reference files.

These references are pretty important since the venue just doesn't show up at all. I am unsure how the venue filed everything so that it's easily consumable by their clients.

Below I list the missing references I am given in the pop up:

W:\A\SHEET\border\_CONOVERALL.dwg

W:\A\PLAN\AP3001000.DWG

W:\A\SHEET\border\_AP3TARG.DWG

W:\A\PLAN\AP00GT0

Might be a dumb question, but would I then be asking for the following assuming these are the file names?

_CONOVERALL.dwg

AP3001000.DWG

_AP3TARG.DWG

AP00GT0

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, however generally there should be a folder that includes the DWG itself as well as some other support files in addition to xrefs for a project like that.

If they can just get you those files individually though, you can also manually select each one as it asks for them when you import the main DWG.

Thanks Jim.

Below I list the missing references I am given in the pop up:

W:\A\SHEET\border\_CONOVERALL.dwg

W:\A\PLAN\AP3001000.DWG

W:\A\SHEET\border\_AP3TARG.DWG

W:\A\PLAN\AP00GT0

Might be a dumb question, but would I then be asking for the following assuming these are the file names?

_CONOVERALL.dwg

AP3001000.DWG

_AP3TARG.DWG

AP00GT0

Yes, as Jim already mentioned. However... I suggest to make a screen capture of the dialog including the full paths instead of just the file names.

The reason for this is that sometimes drawings get reused in other projects with or without modifications in another folder or there are some default file names for certain content and then it is important to make sure you get the correct file and not a file with the same name from another project.

Another solution could be to get a dwg compatible program for Mac (e.g. DraftSight (free) or BricsCAD/Ares CommanderCorel CAD etc. if you need more than viewing) to see what the x-refs are, as well as linked images etc.