Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Newbie questions

I'm sort of new in vectorscript pio coding and have a couple of questions:

- Where can i turn on 'developer mode' in vw2014?

- Is there an good example available with all the different widgets that can be used in the shape pane?

- What are the encoding and newline requirements for files I want to include via $INCLUDE ?

Gr,

Jord

Edited by Jord Visser

For that last question, make sure your files always and with a blank line! I learned this the hard way, and it took me a while before I figured this out. If one of your files don't have it, VS will throw errors that are unrelated, so than it's happy hunting.

Developer mode should be in the VW settings, with all the other ones. (I have a Dutch version, so no point of telling you the name.)

The OIP will be populated with the plugin parameters. The widgets used depends on the parameters type.

Also, make sure to check out http://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php/Main_Page. it contains a lot of valuable info on scripting, with examples.

Add yourself to the mailing list: http://www.vectorworks.net/community/mailinglists. You can then look up problems others had, and help with new ones. I find it also a great learning resource, as if you can't help, you can learn from the solutions of others.

Oh, and if you are just starting out, I would suggest using Python for you scripts, as it's so much better and easier to use! If you go for Python, also check out https://bitbucket.org/dieterdworks/vw-dlibrary, a free open-source library for making plugin development so much easier.

Welcome to the scripting world of VW!

Edited by Dieter @ DWorks

Hi Dieter,

Thanks for your response!

I already made some proof of concept plug-ins in vectorscript, but with the size and complexity of these programs vectorscript starts to become very annoying.. so the step to python was just a matter of time, so thanks for the extra push towards python ;)

Your API looks as a very good base, too bad I am stuck with 2014 for the foreseeing future. But I will certainly use it as a guide for my journey!

As for the developer mode, I am indeed working with an english version.. so I will keep looking into the help-files and other resources.

On the subject of importing/including it seems to me that the way newlines are handle matters as well, I had to use CR+LF to get it to 'work'

Gr,

Jord