crashing! Help

I am starting to go insane with the amount of times this program crashes on me . At least every 20mins . Please help. At this rate I will never finsh any project on time. i have been dealing with it for weeks , but i have had enough. It keeps giving me an unexpected error quit. I have the most recent update of 10.1 student version with the usb dongle.

Thanks

VW Architect 10.1

Pwbk Titanium 1 Ghz, 1Gb mem

OSX 10.2.6

Go to the applications folder and double click on Utilities.

Then dbl click on Disk Utility.

CLick on First Aid.

Select the hard drive on the left side and click on Verify disk permissions.

When that has completed, click on Fix disk permissions.

If this has never been run .. especially after installing APple software - the OS is probably severly unstable causing the crashing.

When First Aid has completed, restart the computer and work in VW.

While you are working in VW - if you stlil crash - take note of what you are doing in VW when the crash occurs. Also take note of other applications running and what might be going on in those applications.

Are you downloading, are you burning CDs in Itunes, is someone accessing something on your computer, is someone printing to your printer via the network, etc.

This should be run once every week or so .. and espeically after any Apple software has been installed.

[ 05-07-2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

I am curious as to why fixing permissions would make Vectorworks more stable. I am also having problems with VW quitting unexpectedly often and I have found that repairing the permissions does not help. None of my other applications crash - Photoshop, Illustrator, internet apps, etc., and I use all of them heavily. If the permissions issue is not affecting those apps, then why is it affecting Vectorworks?

It quits on me in big files, small files, with no other programs running, with the zoom tool, with the line tool, trying to click a menu - there is no apparent pattern. I'm becoming obsessive about saving my work.

Powerbook G4

VW 9.5.3

OS 10.2.6

If you restart the computer do theh problems go away for a little while and eventually come back?

Do the problems just start right off the bat?

How long are you in the program before you crash?

How much built in memory do you have?

If you restart the computer do theh problems go away for a little while and eventually come back?

Yes. Usually after an hour or two.

Do the problems just start right off the bat?

It's hard to say

How long are you in the program before you crash?

Sometimes a long time, sometimes a short time. Sometimes it crashes after I wake up from sleep.

How much built in memory do you have?

512 MB. Somehow I doubt it is memory related.

So how would fixing the permissions affect VectorWorks? Yesterday I fixed them 3 times with no effect. I even reinstalled the program this morning and it crashed after an hour of work.

What types of things are you doing when it crashes?

Are you running other applications while vw is running?

If so, what are they?

Do you have any haxie programs like Fruit Menu or anything like that running?

YOu can email a copy of your apple system profiler file to me and I can diagnose it to see what is happening when you crashed.

As for the sleep issue - that's a known OS issue. Many apple discussions over the internet suggest closing applications before you anticipate sleep engaging for this very reason.

Even better, they suggest to disable sleep due to the numerous issues iwth instability and crashing when reviving from sleep mode.