plugin object scaling

nrkuhl

I'm currently trying to draw an electrical plan on a layer set to 1:1. When I drop in fixtures using the incandescent fixture PIO, they come in very small (.2" dia).

Is there a way to fix this without having to adjust the scale factor of every PIO I want to use from the electrical tools?

I checked on the library file for "Imperial 2D electrical fixtures" and the design layer in it is set to a 1:48 (1/4") scale. If I change this, it breaks the positioning of the objects. Is there a reason these PIOs don't take on the scale of the layer they're inserted on?

I don't use the Architect electrical tools, but I strongly suggest setting the layer scale to your primary printing scale.

VW uses the layer scale as a presumed print scale for things that don't have a real world dimension, like text and arrows. It's still real world dimensions when drafting but looks more like the final sheets. Further its 2D/3D hybrid symbols mean you can make a fixture show up as 12" symbol but the 3D to be a true 6" recessed or 30" bowl. I used to use a lot of 3" MR16 cans and showing them accurately at 1/8" scale is pretty silly.

Also your objects may be set to 'page scale' rather than 'world scale'. Check your symbol insertion options. Page scale also references the layer scale to predict print size. If you print at multiple scales then page scale is your friend.

I come from an AutoCAD background, so I don't put text and arrows in my design layers - that's what annotation layers are for.

We tend to use a fairly wide variety of printing scales, so having design layers optimized for a particular one is not going to be particularly helpful.

This particular project was an experiment for me in seeing if picking a layer scale other than the default 1/4" would make a difference to the workflow, and I'm learning that it does.

It's remarkable the impact these legacy features like layer scaling and screen plane vs. layer plane have, mostly in tripping you up in unexpected ways.

There is another feature you might like. In a viewport you can scale text, line types and symbols globally.

I view these features as the required for drafting. Paper plans are a very old school idea. If you are just 3D modeling then sure, set everything to ignore scale. Optimizing for any print scale is based on the idea that you will print, and it sounds as if you do.

If your symbols are set to Page Scale then naturally the scale is important. They will show very tiny in 1:1 but the spec'd size in a layout. I consider this a fairly advanced feature, but you certainly don't have to use it.

If you don't ever print in 1:1 then that is not a good choice. I can think of several ways to determine the best default design layer scale:

• Most commonly used
  • Center of range (shows closest to all)
  • Smallest or largest ever used

What size are your symbols in ACad? Do you rescale them for each plot?

It's actually been years since I've used AutoCAD, so I have no idea what I used to do. I seem to remember you could set annotation scale for blocks [symbols], so they would scale appropriately in paper space while showing at whatever size in model space.

In the intervening years I went back to school to switch industries (entertainment-->archictecture), and spent most of my time doing 3d modeling and then photoshopping things. Now I'm working for an architecture firm that uses Vectorworks (I almost chose not to work for them because of the Vectorworks factor, but I was very interested in the types of projects the firm does).

My frustration here is that this is a symbol library built in to the program via the Electrical tools, and it basically seems like it isn't going to display properly at a design layer scale that's very different from it's native scale.

I'm already using basically all of the workflows you've mentioned in some way (I'm doing a lot of workflow experimentation because the firm was 2d only before I talked them into actually using the program). The viewport scaling settings in Vectorworks really aren't that useful because they aren't granular enough - we need to be able to select a single object, line, symbol, whatever, and set its scale for that to be really useful.

I don't have that symbol file. You might look at office standard files or ones from Fundamentals or Service Select if you have it.

Best of all would be to make your own. I've seen errors in supplied files, a few but some. So correcting base/part alignment in some might work. I've also done a lot of my own, whether based on previous systems or just something I liked. Your own content is always a drain on getting a new tool started.

Attached is my style recessed. It is page scaled so always prints right but looks silly 1:1. It has a 3D parts for renderings and could have a light object in it. It also has some basic text linked to a record for scheduling. I also put in attachment points for wiring arcs and notes. This way they have a small gap that I think looks best.

This is just to give you some ideas. I did similar things with switches and outlets of various types. It's nice to have them attach to walls. You might even consider just using symbols rather than the electrical tool. If it makes them PIOs then you might be restricted in some ways.

You might also call tech support and ask about options. (@JimW here in the forums usually chimes in if he has an idea. )

On another topic I saw you posted: Styles for tools can be done with 'legend' of objects built various ways. Probably best if its' a symbol that becomes a group. Then you can use the dropper/bucket tool or 'create similar object' to quickly get those settings. Delete, update or move the legend as you wish because now it's just in the project file.

Edited by RickR