2016 can't save back to 2010

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Vectorworks 2016 can save back to Vectorworks 2011, but no older. There were so many changes, even down to how solids were handled that the exports to these versions were no longer reliable. You CAN export from 2016 > 2011 and then export from 2011 > 2010 if you absolutely need to, but its possible geometry would not behave properly afterwards going so many versions back.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

No, you would have had to have a serial number for Vectorworks 2011 at some point.

You might be able to contact sales about getting access to an older version than the one you have now and getting a 2011 serial number however, but the policies on that can change from distributor to distributor. I am not sure if it will be possible but it doesn't hurt to ask.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/1/2016 at 3:41 PM, JasonWD said:

Hi All

I now have 2016 on my machines and the people I mainly deal with are still on 2010 (they only use VW in 2D so are slow to upgrade)

Is there a way to save as 2010 from 2016; for instance I don't know if you can run an older version with a licence from the newer?

I have the same problem (2008)!

If you can't get hold of an older licence, you could do what a Millwork shop I deal with does. They run VW 10 (not VW 2010 but TEN!) and will send me a DWG file. When I send them a file it's a bit of an effort as I have to export to older versions several times & this involves using a machine that runs an older OSX package. 

On 27.12.2017 at 5:39 PM, Tonero Michele said:

or create a VectorWorks Importer / exporter.

On 12.1.2016 at 3:58 PM, JimW said:

Vectorworks 2016 can save back to Vectorworks 2011, but no older. There were so many changes, even down to how solids were handled that the exports to these versions were no longer reliable. You CAN export from 2016 > 2011 and then export from 2011 > 2010 if you absolutely need to, but its possible geometry would not behave properly afterwards going so many versions back.

It just tried to quote the reason why it is not so easy by way how VW works.

There is no real compatibility to collaborate with different versions. Even one-way.

An experience that even users made that switched form VW 2018 back to VW 2017,

that they get their PIOs back but couldn't edit some of these again in VW 2017.

There are other Apps that have more lucky choices of how data is stored that can

read old file's data without issues and old versions can even read new files, just

warning that newer features will be ignored.

But this is unfortunately not the case here and so will not be much fun.

As far as I remember people were provided with older serials and downloads if they

asked or support tried to convert some files for them.

And I think the idea with DWG exchange workaround that was mentioned isn't that

bad either. Especially when it is about 2D only from older versions.

Edited by zoomer

I think it was mentioned that a drawing file update is in the works that

will avoid such depndencies. But only future VW versions may profit.

So far the situation is a bit inconvenient.

For BIM it is similar. IFC formats improve over the years and older software

can‘t open newer IFCs. Older IFCs won’t export all features.

As a professional user there is not much chance to escape the update cycles.

And every relaese you skip makes it harder to follow and adapt to the current

version.