Mapping Image to multiple screens

djobbins

Hey,

I am working on drawing/rendering an installation of multiple plasma screens. Our plan is to have one image mapped across all of them. Is there a way to do that in spotlight/RW? meaning each screen would show a piece of a larger image, as opposed to having the image repeated over and over.

Thanks!

Is there a way to do that in spotlight/RW? meaning each screen would show a piece of a larger image, as opposed to having the image repeated over and over.

The manual way to do that is to apply the same image to all of the TV screens and then to adjust scaling and horizontal and vertical shifts appropriately for each. Tedious, but it does work.

Users of the Landru Design versions of the tools have access (by asking) to a command, "Video Tile" that automates that process. The command is somewhat rudimentary and, therefore, has limitations - but it does work in many instances - enough to make the coding effort well worth it.

Here is an example that took seconds to adjust:

[img:center]http://www.landrudesign.com/Downloads/TilingDemo.jpg[/img]

That help, at all?

There are also a couple Vectorworks objects that have separate components (eg an array of screens) that accept an image texture as described.

One is the object formed when several separated lines or arcs or polys or other shapes are selected together and extruded during a single extrude command.

Another is the new object created when several 3d objects are selected adn shelled in a single shell command.

So select an array of rectangles positioned to represent your screen and extrude them in one go. Extrude depth can be 0.

Or shell an array of 3d objects. Apply 0 or very low thickness.

Texture the new object. The image will be spread across the array.

-B

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a way to do that in spotlight/RW? meaning each screen would show a piece of a larger image, as opposed to having the image repeated over and over.

The manual way to do that is to apply the same image to all of the TV screens and then to adjust scaling and horizontal and vertical shifts appropriately for each. Tedious, but it does work.

I did exactly this last week. I ended up making multiple duplicates, giving each duplicate it's own class and assigning a different image to each dup.

It took a little bit to get the images exact, and the first version each screen was an independent corporate logo all on one file.

But once I was done adding new images it wasn't such a chore and I could create multiple viewports with the different artwork to show the client. I even did different screen configurations.

The realistic lighting rendering: Now that was a pain in the ass.

All%20screens%20even_zpsbfrsvsuo.jpg