Vectorworks Group Names?

A group is not a resource, so you are not going to find the group that way.

I would create a new worksheet, Right click in a Row Header (i.e. 3) to make it a Database row with a criteria of All Objects (at the bottom of the list).

Set the formula for column A to =N

You will now have a list of all the objects in the drawing with their name shown. Drag of Sort tile (Increasing blocks of decreasing blocks) to the Column A Column Header. This will make it easier to find the name you are looking for.

Scroll down until you find the name you are looking for. Right click in the subrow header (i.e. 3.1) and choose Select Item. You will now have the item with the name of concern selected and you should be able to find it and figure out what it is and where is came from.

So the group must be INSIDE one of the symbol definitions.

That makes it harder to track down as worksheets can only see objects that are actually in the drawing.

I don't have time to write a script to look inside all the symbols today.

VW requires that names are unique throughout all the objects in a drawing. You can't have two objects even of different types that have the same name.

Best I can offer right now is to look through your other symbols that are similar and see if they contain a named group.

As you probably know, the name is displayed at the top of the Data pane of the Object Info palette.

Another option would be to place an instance of each symbol (there is a script I wrote for doing this floating in the Resource Share - Vectroscript forum somewhere. Then convert all the symbol instances to Groups, then do the worksheet thing.

Good luck.