contours to extrude

ChrisA

Hi

in the cool video of the subdivision tool they show the final design of a wall/seating made up of plywood panels. My question is how do you go from the subdivided object to the panels?

I have tried creating contours and then extruding them, but no luck. I just get a message saying the contour is locked or illegal. How else might I try creating this structure?

and if the contour isnt a poly line then what is it?

Thanks

Chris

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That one was accomplished with Marionette eventually, but prior to Marionette being finished, the alternate method was to create the whole amorphous shape with a subdivision, then a large rectangular extrude was created larger than the subdiv the thickness of which we wanted a slice to be in the original shape. That slicing object was then duplicated in linear array from one end of the subdiv to the other, then the resulting 20+ extrudes were subtracted from the subdivision to get the resulting separate segments.

[img:center]https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=13905&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-01-06%20at%202.31.17%20PM.png[/img]

Edited by JimW
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That would depend on the input the CNC took, but generally id think you'd lay them all down since they're basically flat profiles, then export either a grid of them or each independently, based on the build area of the machine.

Usually you'd export to DWG, DXF or STL before you converted to machine code for your specific device.