Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Control Geometry node

AlanW

• Marionette Maven

Hi Alan!

I'm attaching a file that hopefully you can use to follow along with.

Control geometry is one of my favorite features of Marionette. Basically, you can use a piece of geometry that you've drawn on screen to create results. (Thinking back to your screen creation on this thread, I believe it may be faster to use control geometry, even! I'll put an example there.)

In this file, the top Marionette object shows the result of using control geometry as a path to essentially 'duplicate along path.'

At the bottom, there is the network I used as well as the control geometry. To create the object above, wrap the network, select both the network and the control geometry, right click on the wrapper, and select "Convert to Object Node."

This should give you the same object as above.

If you'd like to alter the path, you have two options. If you double click on the object, or use the reshape tool, you can alter the path the same way as reshaping any other NURBS curve. You can also right click on the Marionette object and select "Edit Control Geometry" where you can replace the current polyline object with any other object, such as a rectangle, circle, etc.

There are many more ways you can use control geometry, this is just the way I most commonly use it. It's great for creating string lights :)

Let me know if this helps or if you need more of an explanation. I'll also try to either have Jim create a tutorial at some point (if he hasn't already), or just make one on my own.

Marissa

Hi,

Thanks for this but when I open and run I get one circle and error message.

The Polyline didn't seem to have any reference into the nodes and i wondered how you linked the line to the node.

OK, sorry didn't follow right through to convert to a Object.

All good sorry for my confusion.

All good thanks again.

Sorry can you look at the attached file, I get the option to convert to an Object if I select your Polyline and the node but not my new polyline.

Thanks

So if i draw a straight line and use that it all works and then i can right click and go in and change the control geometry to a wobbly polyline and it all works fine. Something in the first bit.

Good Luck:)

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • 5 months later...

Hi, Marissa may have a solution for this now but when i was trying this if I was using a Polyline there was no way to locate its 2D origin and I needed the origin to be able to place the item on the point.

So i reverted to using a symbol which gave an origin.

When you use a rectangle etc they all refer to an origin.

So the attached may help.

Edited by Alan Woodwell