brochure holders

Hi

This Marionette PIO draws a brochure holder with various settings. Parameters over Info Palette. Profiles and brochure (Brochure Textures, brochure Format) over control geometry. Enter and edit control geometry in top plan view (correct bounding box).

Special:

Use of a custom Node, which automatically alines an object by it's bounding box to a refered place.

Edited by DomC

Nice use of Marionette, The hardest thing is figuring out the best use for Marionette. The exhibition industry is a great place for this as they have a lot of component structures that need to be put together and you can set up a whole exhibition with the way you are doing this.

Also being able to make your own nodes it great.

Keep up the great work.

Dom, Hi,

In you network you have a series of pieces of control geometry. Could you explain to me how you link each of these to the correct piece of your shelves.

I see at the start you have your control geometry which I now understand and then you have a Contents node that seems to collect all the pieces of the control geometry, but this is where I need assistance.

Thank you in advance.

Alan

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Hi Alan

The first content-node returns two objects (two groups). The first group inputted again in a content-node and then returns the 4 profiles. The second group is used directly (keeping grouped) for the brochures.

Further explanations:

1. The control-geometry-node exactly collects just one (first back) object in the control-geometry container. So if there are more than one objects they have to be grouped.

2. I created two more groups inside the first group (which can be entered with "content" node). First (back) for Profiles. Second (front) for brochures. The Input in Marionette goes from back to front (order of the objects).

3. Because I have groups I use "content-nodes" to go deeper inside the groups. Also groups helping to order (an object in the first group will never goes in ordner of a object from the second group). So groups help here to structure the input geometry order.

4. The sort lists also helps to get control of the object order. They are not essentially but without order list, the sequence of node wires would be relevant for the object order and this results in even more fragility of the input system.

5. At least by editing control-geometry we have to take care about not changing the object and group orders.

Group will not change order because we just have to enter them. But if there several objects inside a group, the ordner of this objects easily will change, if we redraw/delete them.

To solve that order Issue every single object should be grouped (Which I did not made in this example)

Or an other strategy to handle the objects (Names are not possible, because of duplication or copy/paste in new documents they got lost). Alternatives were symbols (Which is the best option I think) or record formats to handle objects.

Also the network contains some "delete"-nodes. Which I think maybe have no effect. Sometimes controll geometry was obstinately visible. I just tried to get them away :-)

Sorry for my english. Hope it can be unterstood.

Dom

Edited by DomC

I have not read Dom's note in detail, so this is probably duplication, but my understanding of how the Control Geometry works is as follows:

you can have one and only one object in the control geometry that is passed into a Marionette Object, but that one object can be a group.

If you pass a group, then you can control the order that the objects in the group are processed by changing the stacking order.

If you pass the Control Geometry group into a Contents node, you will get a List of the objects. If you then pass that to a List Explode you can get each of the individual objects as output nodes to use as you need in your network.

Brilliant, thanks guys I guess you only know this information if you know programming?

I know its early stages but eventually a help file describing what these more complicate (well to me that is) nodes with the sort of clear description that has been listed above would be great.

Thanks again

Pulled it apart and now I see how it works now thanks.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

I use pass nodes for:

1. Creating them as a kind of "dispenser" for not having wires all over the whole script.

2. For labeling the kind of data which are transported

3. for getting out of a wrapper by naming the pass node at get a knot on the wrapper.

4. Also, if I think there could be a wrapper later in the process I install pass nodes.

Like electrical tins for future connections in a building. I do not want to break my electrical wires in the house to connect additional plugs. So i Install tins for later use.

5. Object Order checking.

I for myself do not check the ordner. I Just reorder them if anything changed :-)

I Just put them in front in the order, I want them to have (Like the curves in a site modell )

Put first object in front, then second, then third ..... etc.

After all that the first object will be the very back :-)

Thats the only way I know to be sure, the order is correct (If you have 3d Obj, maybe the order can't be seen) without putting them all above the other. If there ar at one point, right mouse button and checking overlapping objects (Don't know the function in the international Version)

Always the object get collected by the order. But there are many ideas to sort the objects in a way the ordner doesn't matter.