Imported dwg topogrpahic survey is a symbol and can't change the line type

PMLA

How can I change a complete survey from an AutoCad symbol into lines that I can edit? When I click the edit 3D symbol I can select the elements such as a contour line but I cannot change the attributes and it does not match the class attributes. Want to change from solid to dashed line for example.

You could try converting the symbol to a group (ctrl-K or Modify>Convert>Convert to group)

Then ungroup and you may get a question asking you if you want to keep the records to the items. If you get this question choose yes and then you should be able to edit the individual items while keeping the information (e.g. elevations) attached.

I am new to VW - so my thoughts may not be correct. But what I found was that I had to decompose the line and then compose the line (if multiple segments) and then convert the line to 3d Polys. That made the lines assume the linetype that I desired and right class.

I also did not insert the survey as a symbol - I inserted it into my drawing on a design layer for the survey.

I hope that helps - if not - sorry.

Just to test:

1. create a new blank vwx file eg LineTest.vwx

2. open the vwx file with the imported symbol

3. dbl click the symbol and choose Edit 3d

4. select/copy one of the problem objects or contours

5. activate the LineTest.vwx

6. paste in place one of the contours or other problem objects into the new file.

Does the OIP indicate it is a line or polyline or other 2d object? It might be a 3d poly which doesn't display the line type settings.

You could go back to the symbol and Edit 2d to see if there are additional copies of the objects. Paste one of those into the LineTest.vwx.

What is your end product? all 2d? or vwx 3d parametric site model? or other?

If no joy in the new file, post it here so we can take a look.

-B

Benson, I tried your suggestion. Still cannot edit it.

Here is the file with the one pasted line.

It says it is a 3d polygon, so i tried converting to lines but the line segments are 8" long and do not show the dashed characteristic I want. I then tried converting to polygon, selecting wireframe rendering and could then edit and it seems to show the desired class style dash line type.

I use Windows version 16.

Thanks for you help.

PMLA Your problem is solved but you can’t see it. The dashes are there, but scale keeps them from showing.

The vwx drawing posted has a Design Layer, 1:48 scale, with two versions of the line. One is a 2d polyline with 1100+ vertices (…Intermediate class). The other is presumably the decomposed version with about 1000 8” segments (None class).

The poly is assigned a line type attribute of ISFKC Survey Dashed (or can be assigned that line type via the pen class style option). The dashes are there if the drawing is zoomed in. The line type can be changed through classes or by pressing the attribute palette button to right of the line type color picker.

The drawing also has a sheet layer, prox 10” x 8” page size, with one View Port. The VP is 1:48 scale so way bigger than the page. Rescale to 1:1000 and center on the page to fit. Open VP the classes pull down and enable the class for the line type.

To see the dashes in the VP, select the VP, rescale as above, open the OIP Advanced Properties and change the line type scale to 1.5 or so. Adjust the Line Weight Scale as desired, maybe 5?

But this doesn’t help if you want to edit the shape of the contour. You can try select the contour and Duplicate in Place, change color so you can tell them apart, then apply Modify>Drafting Aids>Simplify Poly and try 12” deviation. That gets it down to 49 vertices. Might be close enough and editable

-B