Create Objects from Shapes - Alters Vertex control

ericjhberg

Question

We have traditionally drafted using the polyline or polygon tools when beginning a project and then used the CREATE OBJECTS FROM SHAPES command to change geometry into smart, plug-in objects. We carefully draw our original linework using 'tangent arc' or 'point on arc' drafting modes (never bezier or cubic). We have become aware that, for some reason, creating objects from these shapes (i.e. hardscapes, landscape areas, etc,) irreversibly alters the vertex types of the original linework and no longer allows for the point on arc editing of the converted object.

I can only imaging that this vertex conversion adds unnecessary memory to the object being created. It also creates difficulties when adding or clipping surfaces and is just more cumbersome and less accurate to work with and dimension later. I have found the only way to maintain the original vertex geometry is to draw the original objects using the Hardscape Tool, Landscape Area Tool, etc. This doesn't always work from a workflow standpoint though as we do a lot of adding and clipping of surfaces to minimize drafting errors.

I don't imagine this is an intentional feature, and if it is, I can't imagine why. Please fix this at some point.

1 answer to this question

+1 to the complaint.

This applies to Object from Shapes and other commands (Site Model contours, EAP, probably others)

The converted linework often ends up in the least editable form.

•Start with arcs (editable radius) and end up with polygons.

•Cubic splines (points right on the line) convert to Beziers (control points off the •Arc & corner polyline or a planar NURBS curve converts to a polygon or 3d poly containing about 100x the vertices (totally uneditable).

I have no solution other than wish it didn't happen.

My workaround, when I really need access to the originals, is to create them on a linework holding layer, transfer a copy to a working layer and make the transformation. Cumbersome at best.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw