Missing Origin

Hi, Trying to create a screen with holes by using a polygon but there does not seem to be a node to use to move by origin as you can with rectangles and the like.

Am I missing something? If I place a circle or any node in the gap and connect the 2Points node to the origin of any available 2d object it all works.

Hi

No you are not “missing something”. I have tried for the last days to solve the problem by changing the script using the rectangle and the move nodes as example. Wanted to change the piano keyboard from rectangles to 3 types of Poly still using the sequence node: impossible.

From what I understand of the Python script once you’ve set the vertices they are unmovable. Why is that? If you work with height and width, not only they move but they duplicate, this is the reason why sequence node works. I wanted to dive in Python this morning but maybe someone has the solution.

If you are trying to move the nodes around within a poly you could use Get Point In Poly then move that poly.

In the attached example i used insert Vertex and placed a new one and if you click on Insert Vertex you get a few options Bezier etc. This polyline was a simple "L" shape. You can change the vertex type, at the (at) node you can choose which node to change, 0,1 etc, 2 Points will be your new node point.

I was trying to uses various polys to punch out holes in the sheet so I needed to get the bounding box which gave me the size but the origin was the problem. Centre of gravity would give me the centre but I couldn't link it to the sequence node as it was after an origin. (Gravity Centre) would do but I got stuck Mental Block.

Good luck, let me know if you get it. Thanks.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

See Piano keys distorted, I just converted one lot to polys then moved a vertex and got this result. With a bit of practice you could reshape to anything.

See Attached

I am not programmer I am using existing nodes and seeing what I can do with them.

Edited by Alan Woodwell
thanks for the try but it does'nt work. the rectangle stays as a rectangle and the new poly won't move all the corners.

searching...

by the way I am using "real" and not "dim" because of the scaling issue when you change units (mm to cm)in the VW page ->units. The object changes size.

You need to provide a point2 node because you are wanting to locate a new node and it needs an x & y co-ordinate.

See revised attached. If you look at the description of the nodes you will get a hint as to what you need.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Thank you,

This is exactly what I was after, a bit of lag when executing but no drama. Now I can create a useful thing and make any pattern screen that I need to include in my renderings and designs.

Thanks again.

If anyone wants to play with this when you make the symbol you have to tick convert to a group otherwise the symbol will not extrude.

Need to work on minimising the geometry shift as the lag is not good and it has errors when you wrap and or convert to object.

The attached VW file has been stripped back to the basics for a simple screen.

The original one was to start with an object and then place the punched out profile that centred within the original profile and adjusted as the size of the original object change.

Still need a lot of work.

Thanks

Edited by Alan Woodwell