Any drainage packages for landscape architects that work in VW?

Rossford

Not quite sure, but one of the VW staff may have hinted that LM 2017 or later might have some kind of drainage package added at request of many.....wouldn't be above a hint confirmation from a Jim W type......

And, if you are working on it, I volunteer to help put the package together! Very needed, at least IMHO.

I was waiting for the next update of my module to be released prior to announcing it on this forum. It should be ready before the end of 2015.

The new version 2016.02 will (finally) have an installer, the previous can only be installed manually. That, and a lot of new features are worth waiting a week.

You'll see the post appear pretty soon in the third party subforum.

Well, the piping plug-in can be used for any kind if pipe but has no auto dimensioning associated with it.

The drainage is derived from the piping tool which has a calculation for indoor sewerage. I will add some more information about the calculation method in the MEP manual prior to the new release.

If there is something specific you need give me a shout. In fact, the new update features about 90% of user requested changes!

• 2 weeks later...

Does it calculate site drainage, using rational formula or similar? Thanks.

I am curious how would you use the app:

1. Calculate the water flow at any point inside a site?

2. Calculate the street runoff for mitigation purposes such as detention ponds inside the site or adding inlets to the public drainage system?

3. Normally this would be the job of a Licensed Civil Engineer with drainage experience. How would the app benefit you if you need to contract a licensed engineer to submit sealed and signed plans?

4. Most civil engineers use Microstation as the preferred CAD because most DOT's and local government agencies require designs in that format. Why would they use a different CAD package?

Miguel,

If there is any HSW issues I do defer to an engineer. But for my work, I was trained at college how to use the rational formula, and have used it all my 39 year professional career to do my own drainage on my golf course and park work. It's mostly golf courses and I have never had my drainage questioned.....well once I did, and the engineer came back with only a few (good) mods to the plan.

I even prefer to rough out things like detention basins using the modified rational formula in my prelim designs, rather than wait a few weeks to see what size area I need. Much easier if I get it close to right before sending it over to an engineer.

These days, when temporary ponding is encouraged at catch basins for detention and sediment/runoff quality, even if I undersize something, its a net benefit, LOL.

Does it calculate site drainage, using rational formula or similar? Thanks.

I am curious how would you use the app:

Hi Miguel,

If I can modify our drainage tool to use a certain dimensioning system for water it's much easier then you'd think.

Pipes can connect to eachother and pass information. A master pipe having 2 incoming pipes can sum the incoming flow to be used in dimensioning that exact section.

All you need is the entrance flow of each part, all the other connected pipes will calculate their flow accordingly.

Also, who is making these calculations differs a lot between countries. Here (Belgium), architects are supposed to dimension house sewerage and site drainage. If the project becomes too big they will get some engineering company to do it.

• 2 months later...

4. Most civil engineers use Microstation as the preferred CAD because most DOT's and local government agencies require designs in that format. Why would they use a different CAD package?

Over here there seems to be a shift from Microstation to AutoCAD Civil at the city/town level, but I also notice a shift from AutoCAD Civil back to Microstation for civil engineering disciplines at companies if other Autodesk products are not required. I'll be happy with just using VW if some AutoCAD/Microstation interoperability issues get solved.

IFC might change this in the future, even though Vectorworks is mostly certified for IFC in building/architecture I know that Autodesk is trying to introduce BIM practices for e.g. their Infrastructure suites/AutoCAD Civil of course through Revit (ugh).

I for one would like Landmark to become more IFC aware for civil purposes too instead of just Architecture. Theoretically that should be possible.

BIM/IFC is mostly for information exchange and as such it will (hopefully) promote more platform independence in the future with regard to CAD software which may be a good thing for Vectorworks in the long run.