Creating Lighting Symbols

rmarkowi

Hello,

I am curious as to how one would go about making lighting objects in Vectorworks. I have a file of symbols I like to use, and ones that come from manufacturers automatically are lighting objects. When I make a symbol of my own, even when I convert it into a lighting object in that file, it is not automatically a lighting object in another file when I import the symbol. How does one go about creating a symbol like that?

I have looked through the help documentation, and the only thing I found was converting a lighting object into a plug-in object. When I tried this, it turned my 2D/3D Hybrid symbol into a 2D group, and still did not default to being a lighting instrument.

I am using VWorks 2015 SP5 (although soon to switch to 2016), and I am on Windows 10.

Any help would be much appreciated Thanks!

Edited by rmarkowi
  • 6 years later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The easiest way is to import a lighting device from the library, either using the right click context menu import command or by inserting it into the file.
The light info record will then be available in your active file's resources.

Another option is if you are starting a new file use the Spotlight template as it is included in the template file resources.

There isn't a dedicated light info record for ETC, as record formats are mostly empty defaults that have to be filled in for the light (or other object) they are attached to, after being attached.