Modelling a pyramid shape

If I was going to model this I would extrude a square, then extrude a triangle by 1 mm and use the Taper Face tool to form 1/4 of the top face. Then duplicate and rotate this shape to form all the top faces. Then make a solid addition.

Is there a better way to model this shape? Can it be done with a Subdivision?

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=13695&filename=Precast-Pier-Caps2.jpg

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The FASTEST way I know to create a pyramid shape that you have control over, is to start with a cube Subdivision, enable Scale mode (the second mode in the secondary modes for Edit Subdivision) and click the top face of the cube.

[img:center]https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=13699&filename=Screen%20Shot%202015-12-17%20at%209.28.02%20AM.png[/img]

Grab the dark blue planar reshape handle on the 3D dragger and you can pull in the top corners all at once. If you just want a point, you can press tab and just enter a scale of 0. Then you can switch the secondary mode back to Translate and Rotate and when you select the top peak alter it at will to any height you like.

[img:center]https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=13700&filename=Screen%20Shot%202015-12-17%20at%209.34.41%20AM.png[/img]

If you need the little rectangular base bit as well, you can select the bottom face of the subdivision with Face Extrude Mode and pull it out to the depth needed.

My quick method:

- draw a rectangle

- place a 2D locus at its centre point

- select both and multiple extrude

- rotate so you can see the bottom face

- extrude it to the required depth using the Extrude Face mode of the Push/Pull tool.

If you need to modify the component heights double click on the object to get to the two separate parts.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My dream would be a parametrical tool - for surrounding houses.

Similar to the Massing Model Tool.

Your Example would be kind of a one story house with a square plan and a hip roof.

So that you draw 2D polygons in plan view, set

story height

number of stories

roof type

ridge height or slope

Or the possibility to convert any/those flat buildings into SubD's to build the roof.

My quick method:

- draw a rectangle

- place a 2D locus at its centre point

- select both and multiple extrude

- rotate so you can see the bottom face

- extrude it to the required depth using the Extrude Face mode of the Push/Pull tool.

If you need to modify the component heights double click on the object to get to the two separate parts.

Hands down winner Mike. That's the first time I've used the Multiple Extrude command, thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
The FASTEST way I know to create a pyramid shape that you have control over, is to start with a cube Subdivision ...

Couple of downsides of this method: the edges of the pyramid are rounded. And had to do (admittedly a very small amount) of mental arithmetic to get height correct.

Side note just for anyone checking all the methods out:

Marissa's method is obviously better than mine, but the roundness can be solved by the Crease mode being used on each of the angled edges, sorry i forgot about that. In any case, that still increases the number of steps to completion and makes it no longer fast, along with the difficulty in setting accurate heights you mentioned.

Well, if you Create Roof, then Ungroup, then Convert to 3d Polys and delete the unneeded ploys, you are left with 4 3d polys. Is that not simple enough??

The Roof Tool was actually the first thing I went to but it imposes quite a cognitive load in the form of having to translate the settings to the simple shape, decide whether all the settings apply or not and, worst of all, you have to do some maths to work out the angle of the top faces.

At least with the Roof Face tool you can use rise over run, but even then you're left with a little maths and even more tidy up.

The Multiple Extrudes command is pretty much designed with this shape in mind. Very elegant, and topped off perfectly with the Marionette script.

Yes, you can do that in different ways.

Because I do that for every new project, Extruding the existing Buildings around

from the site plan, just to have a nice Skyline for Visualization,

I would prefer a more comfortable Way/Tool,

like an overhaul of the Massing Model Tool, but simple Solid geometry only.

I think the way is creating own Tools by Marionette.

Could be quite complicated including all my feature list though :)

Christiaan, multiple extrudes are useful for modelling wall cappings with sloping tops (see attached Vw 2016 file and image).

You still need to model the bottom part and and then Add Solid them into one object. Also to give them a fill in 2D Plan View you need to either make them into an Autohybrid object or convert them into a hybrid symbol.

If you need to have curves then this method is not suitable. That is best done with Extrude Along Path. If you need the ends to slope you have to use either the Split tool or Solid subtraction.

Edited by mike m oz