Object Fill Colors Not Showing

I have several extruded rectangles that have a solid grey fill, however the fill does not appear in my design layer.

If I apply the same fill to a 2D rectangle, it appears, but not in a 3D object.

If I double click on one of the extrusions to edit it, the original 2D shape I extruded from shows the fill just fine, but it doesnt seem to apply to its 3D counterpart.

I have several extruded rectangles that have a solid grey fill, however the fill does not appear in my design layer.

If I apply the same fill to a 2D rectangle, it appears, but not in a 3D object.

If I double click on one of the extrusions to edit it, the original 2D shape I extruded from shows the fill just fine, but it doesnt seem to apply to its 3D counterpart.

3D objects default to Wireframe view mode. As Zoomer said - you have to convert it to a hybrid symbol or view in a different shading mode.

Edited by EAlexander
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
I've been running into this a lot lately as well, and it seems pretty silly to me. Is there some reasoning behind this that I'm missing?

If it is an extrusion as mentioned above the fill color will only show in 3D, if it needs a 3D and a 2D fill, it would have to be made into a hybrid symbol or an auto-hybrid object.

If it isnt an extrusion and its 2D geometry that isnt showing a fill, make sure its a closed figure and if so and it STILL isnt showing, get the file to tech support directly and they can take a look.

I wasn't clear there - I understand the 'what', it's the 'why' that I'm curious about.

As in, why was the choice made to create an extra step for me to show fill on 3D objects in 2D views?

Making things into Auto-Hybrids has advantages, sure, but it also adds more steps to the editing process for any object, and adds a step to object creation as well. I'd rather not make things into auto-hybrids till I'm out of the Schematic phase of the design, because it just adds more clicks to changing shapes as the design evolves.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Why is probably just a missed chance in development long ago on our end. It used to be 2D only and 3D was added as an afterthought for special cases. Now, users need perfect 2D AS WELL AS perfect 3D and it just hasn't been brought up to date with current needs.

There are a few things in the pipe that will attempt to address issues like this, but i'll pop this one in as its own request just in case.

With complex 3D models I'd personally hate to have all of the 3D objects have a fill in Top/Plan. The expected behavior is for it to display in wireframe, as it does. I do understand your viewpoint, though, particularly for simple 3D objects like shapes extruded upwards. For more complex 3D models I'm not sure what a solid fill would look like or how that'd even work. But there might be an elegant solution somehow.

Yes, it's especially the Floors/Slabs that are a problem for me,

because I tend to draw them later, so everything drawn before will

be hidden behind it.

And a CMD+B,

as I would understand as "Send to (the backest) Back (available)"

seems to be the backest possible Back per each Class only (?)

And its seems that pressing CMD+B for 150 times may help only,

when having 200 Classes.

So I prefer the Wireframe Top View.

The stacking order of objects is per Design Layer. So the order of your layers in the Navigation Palette is relevant because each entire layer will obscure the layer "below" it. The Design Layer stacking order can be changed by dragging the number column in the Nav Palette.

When you send an object forwards or backwards it's only in relation to other objects on that layer. So Classes aren't relevant when sending forwards/backwards, but Layers are :)

Layers stacking order is an absolute stacking order.

I'm just talking about the elements on one Layer only.

Like I was used, I would expect CMD+SHIFT+B would move an Element 1 Level down

and CMD+B would send an element down below all other Elements.

But that does not work for me. It never happened for me that 1x CMD+B only made

any visible difference. After n+X clicks it happend at the end.

So I assume it has to do with Classes too.

Normally I try it 10-20 times, if it worked until then, ok, if not I switch to Num 5

and deactivate OpenGL Mode though, or search for my B-XRay key.

• 5 years later...