Renderworks camera "look to height" changes

jamesmise

Question

In 2016 sometimes I open saved camera views by double clicking in the visualization palette only to discover the "look to height" has been changed to some huge number and the camera is pointing up.

I found a backup file and saved all the camera views in a separate document. I have to periodically delete all my camera views and paste in the saved ones.

Anyone have any suggestions before I submit a bug report?

14 answers to this question

This sounds related to a Vw2016 camera bug as described in this thread:

Possible solution quoted from that thread:

There is a bug where if the camera is on a layer with non-zero elevation you will see the camera drift each time you activate it. To workaround that for now put the camera on a layer with layer height of 0.

HTH.

In 2016 sometimes I open saved camera views by double clicking in the visualization palette ....

Don't do that :)

This will screw them up totally.

And maybe don't use crop perspective.

And better go to Camera OIP "Top Plan View" first, before you make

any manual changes of your screen window view.

Doing so still some Cameras will jump regularly X=0, Y=0, Z=-xxxxx

I am having major dramas with the new Renderworks Camera. I have issues around it saving changes made. I double click a viewport, go to top/plan and move the camera, when I return to viewport nothing has changed. When I re-enter the viewport to edit the camera, I see a new camera in the position I moved it to, but the viewport is not linked to that one, rather the initial one I had.

Secondly Ive had issues with changing the view angle, I exited returned to viewport having set the camera the way I wanted it and the view angle blows out to 130° from 90°, I can re-enter and change this back, but every time I exit it goes back to whatever it wants. Very frustrating.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
I am having major dramas with the new Renderworks Camera. I have issues around it saving changes made. I double click a viewport, go to top/plan and move the camera, when I return to viewport nothing has changed. When I re-enter the viewport to edit the camera, I see a new camera in the position I moved it to, but the viewport is not linked to that one, rather the initial one I had.

Secondly Ive had issues with changing the view angle, I exited returned to viewport having set the camera the way I wanted it and the view angle blows out to 130° from 90°, I can re-enter and change this back, but every time I exit it goes back to whatever it wants. Very frustrating.

Does this same behavior occur in a new document, not created from a template? Does the behavior change at all between different existing files of yours?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
I am having the same issue with field of view changing on cameras on exit.

I am not using template files so I think this needs further investigation.

Is this happening for you even in 2016 Sp3 in a new document with newly created 3d test objects and cameras?

Just came back to check this thread after having continuing problems with renderworks cameras.  Thank you all.  I didn't realize i needed to create new renderworks cameras AFTER installing the service packs.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Solved my problems.  I've gotten rid of templates created before the updates.

3 hours ago, jamesmise said:

Just came back to check this thread after having continuing problems with renderworks cameras.  Thank you all.  I didn't realize i needed to create new renderworks cameras AFTER installing the service packs.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Solved my problems.  I've gotten rid of templates created before the updates.

Is this true ?
After which Service Pack that worked that way ?

I recreated all cameras from time to time and tested agin, but no changes at that time.
Maybe not after the crucial SP. Mine still fail in activation and keeping their positions so far.
Even in 2017.
So ist it worth another try ?

Edited by zoomer