Resume and Portfolio Assistance

Greetings,

I first learned Vectorworks in a theatrical design class during undergrad, and found immediate luck right afterwards getting a job creating 3D models for a construction defect litigation firm. I have been there 9 years now and need to move on. For the last 8 months have been searching for Vectorworks jobs with little to no luck.

While my trusted friends and colleagues have reviewed my resume and portfolio, none of them have any experience with CAD let alone Vectorworks. In fact, I have not encountered another Vectorworks user since I studied it in college. Needless to say, I've been working in a vacuum and would really appreciate some advice from another professional Vectorworks user. I understand that without a engineering or architectural degree that the job field will be a little narrower. If you would be willing to offer some advice on my resume and portfolio please let me know and I'll send it to you.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

Hi, You don't need an Engineering or Architectural degree all you have to do is learn to us a Vectorworks better than most which is't hard, know Photoshop reasonably well and you should have no problems getting a job. If you are having problems getting a job, maybe be willing to give an Office some free time for a week or so and show them what you can do.

I have hired and fired a few in my time and it wasn't about the qualifications it was about what you can bring to the organization and have you got common sence and a willingness to learn.

Seek out on the net Jobs for vectorworks draftsmen etc and yo will see the offices that use VW and look at their website and see it you want to work there and go in, don't send resume just rock up and say hi, I want a job and this is why you should hire me.

Good Luck.

Before you knock on any doors make sure you know what's behind the door and do you want to work there. Life is too short to put up with Cr.. from some bosses. Know what they do and as much about them as possible so when you sit down maybe you can point to something that you could add value to. Like have you thought about showing your clients something like this, and show them some of your best work.

Listen to what they are saying and never say BUT...

Maybe add "that's a great idea and if you added this it could be even more fab.

Anyways good luck.