we can eclipse the industry

First of all, DM awesome videos and seems like you got your workflow down smoothly, thanks a lot for sharing.

My two cents for this thread would be;

1) The industry is heading towards BIM inexorably. It's a painful process but it's easier to adopt early on rather than later. BIM is going to be the medium we will be communicating in future. And yes, a SuperFormat that is independent of market software companies should be the bonding exchange, somehow...

2) I would be on board with most of you that VW should put more effort to further develop its' 3D tools and model making flows. (think sculpting rather than drawing)

3) I think what we all need is a uniform classing system as well. CSI provides the OmniClass for this purpose which I have seen comes closest to answering this need. They should be working to create an enough sophisticated and all encapsulating language which the software company will translate in to their language.

That's it from me now, thanks for the time

it's exactly what i'm thinking, all 3 points matching, thanks :)

rob

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example - having class(es) into which you can put 3d objects that you don't want to see in plan view, because they don't render properly in 2D. That's not going to work once you're trying to share drawings using a uniform classing system that will allow models to display correctly regardless of the sotware package used to view/modify them.

I have a workflow/class structure that overcomes this. More to announce soon-ish.

That is something to think about for sure. What I'm not sure about is the separation VW provides for Top/Plan View (2D) and Top view (3D), meaning, should it be rid of in near future and shift to all 3D mode is the question. For now it is nice to have a different representation of objects in 2D plan and 3D view but it is against the idea of drawing/modeling things once. So yea, I think I can pick a side as a conclusion and be penchant for 3D modeling all the way.

Whilst I see the logical conclusion of this argument, part of the power of Vectorworks is it's 2D presentation strength. For hybrid 2D/3D schematic design, landscape, interiors and masterplanning nothing else can come close. If it did just go 3D all the way, why would I stick with it? Wouldn't ArchiCAD or Sketchup or some other be better solutions?

PS Who is CSI and what is Omniclass class structure?

CSI: Construction Specifications Institute; they organize how specifications are to be written in US along with other stuff I don't know.

OmniClass system is basically a classification they came up which was devised from UniFormat, which was based on ISO 14177. So literally, it's a bunch of tables with data points under tables which help you categorize objects. Aids with object oriented thinking, take it that way.

Edit: I put it here. Take a look at the excel workbook and beware CSI doesn't provide a combined workbook, that took a bit time ;)

Edited by sle7en7

omniclass is an american system. in the uk there is uniclass2, in benelux they use either stabu or older sfb, a.s.o.

all those classifications do work in the national construction industries on the building site elements' naming level, but only a few of them are compatible with buildingsmart standards for digital data mapping.

those standards include the format (ifc), process protocol (idm), and the dictionary (bsdd, being both mapping matrix and the browser - a development by the catenda company from norway).

the best compatibility is provided by omniclass and uniclass2.

rob

Uniclass 2015 now Robert.

Omniclass and Uniclass 2015 are both based on ISO 12006, although if I understand correctly Uniclass 2015 is far more unified across the AEC disciplines, although perhaps Omniclass has caught up recently too?

In any case they're national standards, not global, so no point in baking any of them into Vectorworks.

there is already an omniclass module for gsa space occupation classification in vectorworks, and the uniclass reference for pricing. and probably there are many more links.

actually in poland there is no compatible construction classification, so if we adopt uniclass (2015, yes, christiaan ;)) for our construction industry, and for polish vw localisation (which is just about to appear), then the classing structure according to uniclass namings would serve us well...

rob

Yes, I have noticed OmniClass is playing a little catch up but soon to be there and I thought VW might want to expand into that area since they have adopted GSA's spaces by function/occupation table. At least for US and then it could spread to different countries' standards, creating a knit translation system.

But I think this is crucial for us, since it will be the first milestones of transitioning from dictionary definitions to architectural software dictionaries.

Yes, I have noticed OmniClass is playing a little catch up but soon to be there and I thought VW might want to expand into that area since they have adopted GSA's spaces by function/occupation table. At least for US and then it could spread to different countries' standards, creating a knit translation system.

But I think this is crucial for us, since it will be the first milestones of transitioning from dictionary definitions to architectural software dictionaries.

• 2 weeks later...
(..)In any case they're national standards, not global, so no point in baking any of them into Vectorworks.

christiaan, what are the integration actions on the uk market for the vectorworks app? this will be imho required for the data mapping in the real world between the computer standards (ifc, or native ones for the time being) and the building site classification (uniclass 2015, as for the uk), right?

you use the int'l (us) version with all the gsa (omniclass) legacy, or do you have your own localization?

rob