Renderworks Texture Tool not working

nplache

I am having a very strange problem with the Renderworks module.

I have a very basic file with a few extrudes, I was starting to texture some of the elements when I noticed the texture previews we showing black and the icons in the browser have black backround with "static" (looks kind of like the matrix movie falling code).

I have experienced black previews in the past and has always been related to using too large images to create the textures however all my textures images are under 600kb of and the file only has 4 textures in it.

Now I cannot create any new textures or edit the existing textures, I click the menu item to create or edit and nothing happens.

I am able to create other resources just nothing related to Renderworks...

This is very infuriating as I need to finish my build.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for being absent on this issue. I had contacted the service select team they told me it was an issue with a corrupt/bad-port of my VW2015 workspace.

So to update on the situation, I reinstalled and didn't use the old workspaces. Until today everything was fine, however...

I edited the Architect workspace to add some tools to the 3D modelling pallet and "lo and behold" the problem has resurfaced....

@JimW - Restarting machine does nothing, VW still broken, also new files also don't help.

When I initially open VW all the Renderworks tools and options are available to create textures, run renders ect. however as soon as I use any of the renderworks tools (ie. create a texture, apply a texture or run a render) the tools grey out and/or disappear entirely and no render is generated.

@Benson Shaw - I can certainly give you the file but I don't believe it is file specific.

The only solution I have found is to completely uninstall and reinstall to get renderworks operating again. This is not sustainable.

I am in process of re-downloading VW2016 and will reinstall again. I will test to see if the problem lies with editing workspaces.

It is strange no-one else has had this problem if it is related to workspaces (I know I'm not the only person with custom workspaces)

Edited by nplache

UPDATE:

I have preformed 3 clean installs of VW2016, each time ensuring to delete all Library files both at a system level and user level, and rebooting before re-installing.

Renderworks module has completely stopped working.

Workflow:

• open clean install of VW (default blank document opens)

• use sphere tool to create small object (approx 50mm dia, default object fill is white)

• apply texture from built-in RW library using object info, render tab drop-down menu (choose grass texture, for no particular reason)

• run openGL render, texture shows.

• run fast RW, object disappears, only white background showing, object can be selected but has no texture or fill colour of any kind.

• Change texture using object info, render tab drop-down menu (texture from built-in RW library) - no effect, object appears the same.

• click on View menu to change render-mode, all RW render modes are now greyed out can cannot be selected.

• return to wireframe view. RW textures vanish from resource browser along with any render styles, backgrounds ect.

• object info pallet, render tab no longer shows any RW render options (only shows sketch options)

• Quit VW2016

---------

• re-launch VW2016

• Renderworks tools re-appear

• Repeat processes above with exactly the same result

---------

• Restart computer

• re-launch VW2016

• Renderworks tools re-appear

• Repeat processes above with exactly the same result

Previously reinstalling VW2016 resolved the problem and gave me back a working renderworks module. This time however I have not been able to get Renderworks working again.

Help Please!

Further update:

Final managed to get RW to work after many re-installs and computer restarts.

Current workflow:

• launched clean install of VW2016

• drew rectangle & extruded to 50mm (already has default white fill)

• applied Asphalt Small RT texture from Obj Info, Render tab drop-down menu

• ran Final Quality RW, works!!

---- lets be brave and try to break it again...! ----

• Enter workspace... module to create new workspace

• Duplicate default "Architect" workspace and rename "Architect Nic" really original I know... (already working, made no changes to workspace)

• exit workspace window, don't switch to new workspace yet

• re-run Final Quality RW, black screen - hmm!

• run fast RW, renders as expected

• wireframe then re render to FQ RW, works!

---- so creating workspace isn't the problem ----

• back to wireframe

• change my workspace to "Architect Nic" (don't move any pallets or make any changes)

• run Final Quality RW, works!!

---- good!! maybe just maybe.... ----

• back to wireframe

• Tidy up pallets

• run Final Quality RW, works!

• back to wireframe

• Edit workspace to customise pallet tools

• run Final Quality RW, works!!

---- Was hoping for too much ----

• quit VW and re-opened

• wanted to test with more complex shapes so using a sphere and subdivision tool created an organic object (file is attached)

• ran Final Quality RW, works!!

• applied water texture

• ran Final Quality RW, back screen (memory issue??)

• quit VW and relaunch

• drew sphere (already has default white fill)

• run Final Quality RW, nothing!! the problem has come back...

-----------

Theories ...

• complex objects break RW

• transparent textures break RW

• combination of the above break RW

Any help would be appreciated....

Hi Nic,

Read thru your problems, downloaded your file and ran it but I have no issues at all. I tried several different textures as well. Now I'm running VW on windows so that part is quite different. Your machine specs suggest you should have no issues though.

Looks like this is a job for the techies.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Renders as expected here as well.

Create a new admin account on that machine by doing the following:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/805/Creating+a+New+User+Account+%28Mac+OS+X%29

Then, reboot and log into the new account, try the same tests in that account and see if the issues persist. However if they do, make sure to get in touch with support directly as suggested above:

http://www.vectorworks.net/international/

Thank you for your responses. I will try again tomorrow with a new user account to see if that resolves the issues.

I didn't think it was file specific, although I hoped the problem could have been replicated elsewhere. It's a strange one for sure...

Thanks again, will keep you posted and let you know the outcome.

Ok .. so the problem lies in the machine's User account. I have not been able to replicate the issue in the new user account I have created.

I have no idea where to start looking to find what is causing the issue in the "problem" user account. Does anyone know of a debug software I could run to try to identify what might be happening...?

I am guessing VW / RW is making a call to one of the "User" library files that is either corrupt or missing and that is flipping a "flag" within the VW / RW to disable the RW module.

I also noticed a significant lag using VW in the "problem" user account. When drawing my test spheres, first click to position second click to size, the object wouldn't show on screen and I would need to move the mouse around until the object appeared. This lag was only present when the RW module was having problems so I guess the two issues are related.

Anyway...

Thank you for your help, I at least have VW + RW working again.

If you know anyway to fix the problem user account that would be helpful, or if there is there any "easy" way to bring all the files etc. from the old account to the new?