Enhanced Clip Cube Operability

ericjhberg

Question

Just a thought regarding the clip cube. I am fairly green to the clip cube so some of these suggestions may be possible, but I just haven't been able to figure it out yet.

1. Provide the ability to turn a clip cube into a 3D View, not just a section viewport. This could support the ability to create cool Section Perspectives that showcase a cut line while projecting the background in either an isometric or perspective view. When you try to create a 3d viewport from a clip cube view, the clip cube disappears and the entire model is present.

2. Solid modeling of the cut plane. When using the clip cube, it appears that its intersection with an object always shows the bounds of the objects as lines with the centers as voids. Rather, a way to use the class attribute fill or texture to close the shape and show a solid fill for the clipped objects.

3. A slightly more complex clip cube shape. This counters the idea of calling it a clip 'cube' but imagine a 2-plane cut-away 'L' clip cube line where details in 2 planes could be exposed and then communicated via comment #1.

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

@ericjhberg: It's not clear which version of Vw you are using, but I believe that request #1 & #2 are already possible in Vw2016.

1)

2)

- the section cut-plane display of the Clip Cube is a solid color fill wiith attributes defined by the Section Style class.

Viewing a Model with the Clip Cube : Vw2016 Help File

Clip Cube in RW modes would be very welcome

@zoomer: I have not tried it, but you should be able to assign a RW style to a Projected Section VP as created in the

link above. That would achieve what you are asking for. This would achieve *most* of what you are asking for, but it uses a Section VP, not the Clip Cube.

You cannot currently use the Clip Cube in any view display mode other than wireframe or OpenGL, but if you were able to do like you're requesting, it would automatically re-render for each slight adjustment of the Clip Cube face, which I know from other threads would drive you insane. ;)

Edited by rDesign

@zoomer: No, you have the correct settings. Selecting any display mode other than wireframe or OpenGL deactivates the Clip Cube.

In my previous post (edited for clarity), I was referring to using a 'Projected' Section VP, not the Clip Cube, to achieve *most* of what you were requesting: with the caveat that you would have to use a Section VP instead of the Clip Cube.

@rDesign: Thank you for elaborating on these features. This is very helpful and does shed some light on the issue. We are using 2016, and I still see some issues, even with the added operability.

1. The projected section trick, changing the viewport projection to perspective or orthagonal after creating the section viewport, does work; however, as was illustrated in other posts on this thread, apparently only in Hidden Line render modes. Not even in OpenGL and definitely not in RW modes.

2. The Section Line class does offer some added visibility control, but what I was referring to was actually a differentiation between all of the components the section line is actually cutting through. Take for example, a wall with multiple built components (i.e. moisture barrier, cmu wall, mortar, stone veneer). The ability for the visibilities of each class/component to read through the section line rather than on contiguous fill through the section plane. I would like to see layering through a section cut.