Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

How to set texture size & tansparency

AlanW

• Marionette Maven

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately during development, some nodes slipped by us that were using deprecated/obsolete Vectorscript functions and made their way into our releases.

One of those nodes that I'm sure of is the Set Transparency node, and while looking at your file, it appears that Set Texture Size also may have some issues.

We've already begun looking into a different way to get those nodes to do as desired, but have not reached a solution yet, and the way textures now work do not support those outdated VS functions.

I'll work on compiling a list of released nodes with known issues, as I'm sure it would be helpful to you and other users to know which ones to not use in your networks, and I will let you know if I can find a workaround for the time being.

Thanks!

Marissa

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately during development, some nodes slipped by us that were using deprecated/obsolete Vectorscript functions and made their way into our releases.

One of those nodes that I'm sure of is the Set Transparency node, and while looking at your file, it appears that Set Texture Size also may have some issues.

We've already begun looking into a different way to get those nodes to do as desired, but have not reached a solution yet, and the way textures now work do not support those outdated VS functions.

I'll work on compiling a list of released nodes with known issues, as I'm sure it would be helpful to you and other users to know which ones to not use in your networks, and I will let you know if I can find a workaround for the time being.

Thanks!

Marissa

Marissa,

Your comments make my question here - https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=216140#Post216140 - even more relevant. It seems that a standard for labelling versions is definitely needed.

Kevin

• Marionette Maven

Kevin,

I completely agree. Since I've been working with Marionette, I've been trying to at least see which vectorscript calls are still valid for 2016, and I've made a (mostly) comprehensive list as to which functions are usable for Marionette.

This can be found here, and although it's probably not finished, it should at least help out a bit for those actually writing their own nodes/scripts for 2016.

I'm realizing now that there must be more functions that don't work as expected, and as those get discovered, I hope to update the linked resource.

I also hope, like you, that a better maintenance for Vectorscript versions gets implemented as it would help so many people, at this point it's just a matter of how to get that in practice.

Marissa

• Marionette Maven

An update on Set Texture Size - the node works, but the way it's being used in this network is incorrect. The output from "Texture" is actually still the object that you applied the texture to, and in order to use the "Set Texture Size" node, you must use the handle to the texture resource as your input. I'll work on creating a file to explain how to use it, and potentially get it to work a little better, as while I'm messing around, the size of the texture on the object it's applied to does not auto-update.

There are some funny things going on with Texture nodes overall, but I can at least move things around a bit for the purpose of an example for this thread.

Marissa

• 10 months later...
  • Marionette Maven

I don't believe so. There was new functionality introduced, though I haven't worked with it enough to properly explain it, that will allow users to define parts to be textured within Marionette so that you can modify them with the OIP. I'll hopefully get a handle on that soon and put out a demonstration, and hopefully that will solve some of the issues people are facing.

• 2 weeks later...

THANK YOU  all

I have mastered my showcase and it works in a real document.

The case automatically fits in the wall, you can decide the axis distance, the glass thickness and much more; now the textures inside and outside.  I decide the size of the visible part of the case and the rest is automatically calculated. Tooo good.

Anyone who wants to use it is welcome. Just ask for the script.

Capture d’écran 2016-11-10 à 16.07.34.png

Capture d’écran 2016-11-10 à 16.02.42.png

• Like 2

So Close and I couldn't see it. As always need to read the node.

The Set Texture Map Node selector connection asks for ""Real: offsetX:1, offsetY:2, scale2D:3, rotate2D:4, radius:5, matrix mat00 through mat32: 6-17" )" So type in 3 for selector, then in value type scale. and Voula.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Thanks, My program would not open but i changed the e with the ' over and all was well. The English version did not read French lol.

Boy certainly a lot of work in there. Need a steel mind to maintain focus when doing one like that.

Well done.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

I spoke too soon: not perfect yet

if you insert the showcase in the wall you can then choose in the OIP if the wall is stopped half stopped not stopped ect.

In the French version percement interrompu, percement non interrompu, demi percement, pas de percement

If I switch to open gl, with the first one the wall is totally open (normal) but with the half I should have my showcase visible and  its not the case the wall overrides the inside.

Any idea.

For the moment I manage because there is no way to see both sides at the same time so I open the wall but my next room have a mirror…

wall_test.vwx

@the frogHi What you need to do is edit the hole component of the Symbol. I made it a symbol. This controls the actual cutting object for the symbol. Look at the symbol (I converted yours to a symbol) and edit 3D wall hole component. Yo make it stick out through the wall also. I also moved the origin of the symbol so the surround sat on the wall. Plan view still shows wall and symbol but will look at later to figure this out. In the OIP break all options in 3D only shows the small break but in top plan the wall is broken.

HTH

Capture.JPG

wall_test.vwx

Thanks Alan got the point, I have to make the hole in the symbol  (hole component).

I can finish my images

Lots of clicks to override the wall functions. We are using a specific tool instead of the true destination of the pop up wrote in vw. I suppose half cut should open half of the wall, and cut, the entire section.

Of course my simple object becomes a symbol it means to create a new symbol for each showcase, none are the same in the exhibit! The file get heavier every minute.

Next goal is to lighten the script before inserting electric tracks on the sides and top