Dual monitor/palette bug?

nrkuhl

My boss ran into an interesting situation with the Attributes panel and his dual monitor setup. He's running a 17" Macbook Pro with Yosemite and VW 2016, and an external monitor. The monitors are stacked vertically, with the external being above the laptop monitor.

The palettes are all on the upper monitor per his workspace default, and the main drawing area is on the laptop monitor. In this setup, with the Attributes panel on the upper monitor, if I attempt to change solid fill color or stroke color, the color dialogue shows up on the lower monitor (i.e. not cascading down from the attributes panel, like normal). See attached screenshots.

Just awkward for the moment, but, if the main drawing area is moved to the upper monitor, and I click to change the fill or stroke color in the attributes panel, the dialogue doesn't appear. If I set fill to pattern, I can select patterns as expected, but the same things happen when I try to change foregound/background colors in the pattern. Hatches work as expected.

Could this also be some sort of Mac weirdness with dual monitors? I'm running dual monitors as well, but on a Mac Mini. My home computer, on which I grudgingly run Vectorworks on occasion, hasn't exhibited anything like this either (and that's a Windows laptop with an external monitor).

• 2 weeks later...

I have tested for but not experienced this bug using a 2015 MacBook Pro 15" Retina with external monitor via an Apple Mini Display Port to DVI Adapter (Model A1305).

But I do know of one other user with this problem, although I do not know their hardware setup.

I would be interesting and perhaps useful to identify if it is a hardware-dependant issue. What hardware (computer, adaptor and monitor) are you using?