advice on graphics cards

kevinrooney

Question

any advice eon which graphics card works best with vectorworks

NVIDIA® Quadro® K4200 4GB (2 DP, DL-DVI-I) (1 DP to SL-DVI adapter)

or

AMD FirePro™ W7100 8GB (4 DP) (3 DP to SL-DVI adapters)

Both seem to be about the same price But so much conflicting information

running vectorworks architect with renderworks

Any help appreciated

On 11/30/2017 at 12:11 PM, Mark Aceto said:

It seems particularly slow when I have 3+ viewports on the same sheet layer: plan, front, side, iso...

On 11/30/2017 at 12:17 PM, JimW said:

those still have not been moved to the VGM, so unfortunately NO hardware you can throw at Vectorworks will make that any faster at the moment.  Once sheet layer graphics are moved to the VGM, it will be dependant solely on your GPU.

On 11/30/2017 at 1:03 PM, Mark Aceto said:

OK, and just for clarification:

• GPU won't help... until Vectorworks 2019?

On 11/30/2017 at 1:06 PM, JimW said:

1) I do not know if it will be 2019 or a version after that, but it wont be until after 2018 certainly. This is something that cannot be changed in an SP.

So am I to understand that the extreme sluggishness of Vectorworks in Top/Plan view on Design Layers and Sheet Layers, as discussed here: https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/53660-topplan-panningzooming-sluggish-in-vw2018/&page=3 will definitely persist until Vectorworks 2019 is released, and possibly until 2020, or even 2021,  is released?... ... ...   VWIS099

Edited by willofmaine
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
11 minutes ago, willofmaine said:

So am I to understand that the extreme sluggishness of Vectorworks in Top/Plan view on Design Layers and Sheet Layers, as discussed here: https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/53660-topplan-panningzooming-sluggish-in-vw2018/&page=3 will definitely persist until Vectorworks 2019 is released, and possibly until 2020, or even 2021,  is released?... ... ...

No, many instances of the slowness is due to bugs that cause Vectorworks to get stuck or bogged down on calculations it shouldn't even be making. *IF* there are no bugs affecting your workflow and the source of your slowness is due to very complex and geometry-heavy models, then yes it likely won't be until 2019 that that improves, but in a lot of user's cases, the slowness is not caused by a heavy file, but by some bit of geometry or other attribute causing a slowdown where one should not exist.

The slowness symptom is the same, but has way too many causes for the line I quoted above to be true in all scenarios. It's a very complex issue with no easy answer, and the answer may very well differ from user to user.

Wow, that was a quick response, thank you!  Sometimes I feel like you're just sitting around waiting for questions specifically from me.  I'll try and send more!!  Ha ha.  But seriously, that's all very helpful.  Only the hope of some relief in the (hopefully near) future gets me through the days as I run through the quicksand that is working in Top/Plan view.  So I'm glad to know there's still room for hope!  Thanks.

Been following this thread and I’m getting the impression that upgrading my gpu from the Sapphire Radeon 5970 won’t really give me any noticeable boost in Renderworks. I’ve had poor luck getting a Mac-flashed Nvidia card from a third party vendor and I get a great deal of comfort getting a Mac boot screen on boot up.

Is there any benefit to adding a FirePro in the second slot to running my 32” monitor and using the 5970 as the boot screen/toolbar monitor or will I be watering down my speed by sharing the pci x16 across two slots?

On 11/30/2015 at 11:56 AM, PVA - Jim said:

Generally you will want a graphics card geared towards gaming, the Nvidia GeForce series or the AMD Radeon series.

Quadro and FirePro are marketed as being for CAD but they confer no direct benefit to Vectorworks and they are extremely expensive. A list of cards I would recommend can be found in this article about 4K displays:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1274/Using+High+Resolution+Displays+

A few more specific details can be found here:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1139/Video+Card+%7B47%7D+Graphics+Card+Guidelines+for+Vectorworks+-+Oct+20%2C+2015

the links you shared don't show anything other than de Kbase homepage, please update the information

Guest Alex Sagatov

@Tom Klaber At the time of this post, Vectorworks doesn't take advantage of the "workstation" cards (Nvidia Quadro or AMD Firepro). They will work, but in terms of price for performance, you are normally better off with the gaming line of cards (Nvidia GeForce or AMD Radeon) at this time.

As such, looking at gaming build websites will give you a good idea of best price/performance.

This isn't a Vectorworks website or specific recommendation from us, but I personally always stay up to date on this information through Logical Increments as a first stop ( www.logicalincrements.com ). This website does a good job of keeping up to date recommendations for all different budgets. The pricing they provide is assuming you are purchasing the parts individually and then building it yourself, but you could use the general recommendations on any computer brand site.

Just as a reminder if you are reviewing this site: Vectorworks does not currently take advantage of multiple graphics cards (so the very high end options that recommend "x2" are not worth it if you are only worried about Vectorworks).