We need a Join command for combining NURBS Surfaces

Kevin McAllister

Question

We need a join command for combining NURBS surfaces together into open/closed polysurfaces. See Rhino. This would be in addition to the current Stitch and Trim Surfaces.

Solids operations (Add / Subtract etc.) should not act on collections of NURBS surfaces like they currently do. The hollow faux solids created by this type of operation cause all sorts of geometry errors and forum posts....

Kevin

7 answers to this question

I would hate to loose the ability to add-solid collections of nurbs surfaces, because I make my living from doing that.

But I see your point about faux solids. The OIP gives no indication as to whether a solid is open or closed – and it should – so that would be my wish.

The stitch and trim command produces poor solids, because it trims the nurbs surfaces involved – and adjoining trimmed nurbs surfaces inside solids will often (always) cause problems, if you use the resulting objects in further operations.

So I recommend using the section solid command instead whenever you can – and you usually can.

Perhaps you have overlooked, that you can use the (2D) connect/combine tool to join 3D untrimmed nurbs surfaces?

These are all good thoughts. My biggest frustration is that as far as I can tell using Add Solids on a collection of NURBS doesn't actually produce a real solid. This means that many other solids operations (ie. fillet) will likely fail later in the process and it can be hard to trace why.

Can you show how you would use the Section Solids command in place of Stitch and Trim? I'd be curious how that works.

And thanks for the reminder about the connect/combine tool.

Kevin

I make the comment about the Section Solid alternative, because I tend forget how versatile it is myself.

If I start out with a solid primitive of some sort, it will never become a faux solid – even if I use a faux solid as a cutting tool.

So if you take your failed faux solid and place it inside a real solid cube, you can sometimes section-solid yourself to a real solid just like that. You may still have problems with fillets, but it is no longer hollow.

The Section Solid tool can cut with open and closed solid objects – as well as with basic surfaces.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL3Oyph55RRaHJKRWNVTFlaYTA/view?usp=sharing