modifying objects created with the new subdivision tools

I have created my first usable package A 3d 1 1/2" diameter tube. The tube was created using the Subdivision surface tool and the top nozzle is a loft id cone. Top of tube and the cone were matched using the extract line tool. The 3d model is very close to exact size of the actual tube I have on my desk. This is good. The snag is when I added the 2 solids together I can’t use the fillet tool on the edge (shown in red in the image) of the tube to make it look like the real thing. I can add a fillet to the top edge of the nozzle. [/img]

Whats different?

The problem lies with the portion of the tube made with the Subdivision Surface tool. Its not actually a solid. Its a collection of NURBS surfaces made into a solid addition. (I'm not sure why Vectorworks allows users to do this, but it does)

I've attached a corrected version of the file which fillets ok.

I ungrouped all of the elements down to their basic forms, selected all of the NURBS surfaces and used Model>3D Powerpack>Stitch and Trim Surfaces to turn them into an actual solid. There were a couple of small remnants left which I deleted. I re-applied the Add Solids and then applied the Fillet.

Kevin

Looks cool!

I think the cap still doesn't exactly line up with the body of the tube or isn't exactly coincident. If you take the cap off, the top of the tube will fillet ok. So I think it's trying to fillet the sharp edge of the cap, but fails because the fillet is so close to the tube.

I know you lofted the actual tube edge. That's would have been my first thought also. Tried making the cap with a revolve around rail. No luck.

I think there's something going on with the top of the tube. The extracted nurbs curve has 39 vertices. Which, I think, means it isn't symmetric. At least if you look at the curbs curve in top view the vertices aren't symmetric.

Benson will figure it out :)

mk

Kevin,

Thanks, the stitch/trim is a hidden treasure. I made the same modifications and it worked for me also. Have to admit I did not even know that tool was there.

CONTROLLING EXACT SIZE??????

Then, I went back to the original subdivision model and checked my sizes. OOPS, the top of the tube is about 1/4" too small for the cap. Building exact size models with the subdivision tool is going to be a challenge. I used the scale tool to modify the original subdivision model and then reapplied the modifications. I think this will be a valuable tool if I can control the size of objects.

rjt

Hi, pretty impressive. The VW file texture image did not seem to come over, was interested in what the image file looked like and how you got it to wrap so perfectly.

That is pretty impressive, nice job on the SubD modeling.

It's Vectorworks' fault (definitely not yours) that the label mapping is not 'perfect'. The characters at the beginning and ending of the longer text lines are getting stretched wide, most notably on the 'Up to 10 Applications' line. But you did extremely well using only Vw mapping options.

Nice work!

The texture was not in the original file. I have been re-working the SubD model to get a better tube than the one int the image. I am still working with the SubD tools to learn how they work in order to get accurate objects.

Wrapping objects in Vectorworks is a project in it self. I use the extract surface tool to capture just the part of the tube I want to map. When making the graphic in photoshop with the clear part of the graphic as a mask (alpha channel). The skin surface is then positioned about 0.01" off the surface of the tube. In the past I have had to pre-distort the graphic images for clients to get them to position properly on the surface of round packages. The 2 textures (graphic and top seal) on the tube are all flat plane images, Using the cylinder wrap looked like a fun house mirror.

In addition I have never been able to adjust multiple decals on a VW object the way you can in FormZ. So I adopted this work-A-round to save time. The back side of the tube is done the same way as a separate back skin. Getting an image to wrap 360º is almost impossible.

RJT