BIM - How to do Girders ?

zoomer

I just start another skeleton structure.

As I do Columns by Wall Tool and Wall style to prevent Column Tool's

overlapping Faces for Render Exports.

I would prefer Extrudes in Symbols but these can't have Story Levels assigned

to adapt to Level changes.

So I wanted to start building the (horizontal) Girders again with the Wall Tool.

But what will happen when my Girdes cross Walls or be tangent to Wall Connections ?

How will I ever get a correct Volume Calculation.

I can't create a Wall recess for each crossing or double Walls over each other

at different height levels. Also I don't want to see the Grirders in Top Plan View,

and if at all, just in dashed Lines.

Or should I draw thousands of Extrudes, between the Walls and "Columns",

plus changing all manually again when changing ?

Or Slabs ?

Or is there any other option that I missed so far ?

Thanks.

Framing Member Tool hints

It is an hybrid object, so it will display for you in both 2D and 3D.

Over the last few versions of Vectorworks the Framing Member Tool has improved greatly with you being able to apply mitres to the ends of beams and frames in all 3 dimensions. If the out of the box profiles don't work, you can create your own symbols of 2D profiles.

I think the truss options are quite basic, so it will depend on your requirements.

Auto Hybrid object hints

If Framing member doesn't work in this instance, you could also try the various 3D steel profiles in the Detailing toolset (if it is a steel truss), and create an an Auto Hybrid object (Menu > AEC > Create Auto Hybrid) that can display correctly in 2D and 3D.

Auto Hybrid objects are created from pure 3D geometry, and as a consequence cannot contain any 2D or hybrid objects.

If you do have trusses/girders that are repeated, you can create a 3D symbol from their geometry and and create multiple auto-hybrid objects from that 3D symbol. Do not create a symbol of an auto-hybrid object, as it can create weirdness. Does that make sense?

Cheers.

What I want is something that I can bind to Story Levels, at least on Top, for changes.

Like Slabs, or better Walls do.

Framing members seem not to have that ability.

I have thin slabs, therefor girders, for some stories in concrete, some have steel girders.

The next thing is that if I draw non structural walls in plan, I wishes they would automatically

cut when crossing a girder. Someone mentioned I should do that like fitting Walls to a Roof

by Fit Walls to Object.