Reshaping extrudes

VW 2016 SP1, Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan)

I notice that the Reshape tool does not work. Here is an example.

I am looking in top/plan at an extrusion, a 2x6 joist.

I want to make it shorter, so I select the Reshape tool and draw a marquee.

I get the little circle with the four radial arrows around a vertex of the extrusion.

I move the vertex, but it does not move.

I try every possible combination, but none of them accept the movement.

Shortening a joist in plan should be simple, but it is not. This tool doesn't work. The joist is sitting at 45 degrees, so I can't simply drag it. I suppose if I could figure out how to change the X-Y coordinates to align with this joist I could do it that way, but that is really the tail wagging the dog. The 3D reshape tool should work, but it doesn't. Can anyone explain why?

Thanks,

MHBrown

That's not really helpful to me because I'm trying to snap the joist to another joist, so I have to see both pieces. If I go into the 2D profile of the extrude to edit it I can't do that. I can't select a "face" of the extrude to use the push-pull tool because it is "inside" the other joist. That's why I need to make it shorter. Furthermore, the most accurate way to snap objects together is to eliminate one of the axes, x, y or z. That way you are certain to snap to the correct spot. Lastly, it makes no sense to have a tool such as the Reshape tool that works in "...a side or front view" and not plan view. What do you have against Plan view? Sure, points would be located on top of each other, but I've been able to drag extrusions under that condition for years in both MC and VW. In short, I want to grab a tool and have it work in all situations. Many of VW's tools seem to be conditional and those conditions do not seem to have a logic behind them. At least I don't see it.

Thanks

MHBrown