Fraction Text Display

Bruce Kieffer

Question

Jim,

Am I doing something wrong? I assumed fraction display would be fixed so they look right in 2017, but it appears they are not fixed. Look at my screen shots. I tried different fonts to no avail. The "stacked" fraction does display better, but the slash is too short. Just looks unprofessional for presentation purposes.Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 11.33.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 11.30.41 AM.png

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Apparently it has to do with our lack of unicode support, which also limits our use of fonts as well as contributes to problems with special characters in filenames and in non-English language OSes. Looks like Unicode support in general is in the pipe to resolve a lot of these issues all at once, but it will be slow in coming because of how many things tie directly into it.

Mostly because of how much work it takes to switch it over, Vectorworks is one of the most complex set of software tools available on Earth. It isn't as simple as it is with something like a Facebook app or video game to dump everything and rewrite from scratch it as time passes as most developers are able to do when they need to do a major upgrade. We have to keep existing tools and commands in place and upgrade them while maintaining functionality over the course of many versions.

Am I the only person who uses fractions in drawings? Vectorworks does a horrible job displaying fractions. I really want to be able to create my technical illustrations in Vectorworks, but the fractions display is not good enough to look professional. When the Vectorworks units pref is set to display fractions diagonally stacked, the numerator almost always overlays the slash, and the leading is always too tight in front of the integer, and too wide after the fraction. I could save a lot of time if this worked better.

I know we have discussed this here before. I have spoken with support, and they assure me that it will eventually be fixed, I'm just greasing the wheel. The sooner it's fix the better. It's truly a shame that Vectorworks, which is touted as a presentation tool, can't do this and look professional. Instead I have to use another app to set my callouts. That's crazy!

7 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

@Alan WoodwellI think it may be a Mac only bug.....

KM

I think so too, they use very different systems for text handling and upgrading the Mac one is apparently far more problematic. I am pretty sure some fonts on the Mac side do not have the problem, but many, many fonts including the default ones do.

My client specifies I use Tekton font for callouts. This is what 3/4" looks like in Vectorworks. Do you see my problem? Am I supposed to tell my client they have to choose another font because Vectorworks can't display Tekton (or for that matter any other font) correctly as a fraction? Sad. Obviously these are rhetorical questions. Fix this problem.

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 6.38.47 AM.png