Combining Site Models

Kevin C

I have an engineer who has carried out the engineering on a housing layout for a small site. I now have two 3D autoCAD files.

1. The existing site survey

and

2. The proposed site levels and contours

I know how to generate two individual site models and work on them individually. The question is can I import the survey model as the existing terrain model and import the proposed site level drawing as the proposed site mode, merge them together, then add the houses etc. to the proposed.

Kevin.

The only suggestion I have:

1) Create the site model in Vectorworks using the existing engineer's data

2) Add the proposed site model data using site modifiers/3D Polys or Loci etc, and assigning to the appropriate 2D & 3D display (Existing, Proposed or Proposed & Existing)

You can then create a snapshot of the site model so you can control your existing/proposed graphics in your viewports.

Whether you can import two terrain models in DWG format and merge together may not be possible in VW (not if you want to have an editable site model). Whether it can be done using some other technique or program is a question I'd like the answer to as well.

Kizza,

That's the only way I could think of doing it as well.

The situation is that my client's engineer uses PDS software to create the roads and drainage model and I am have to generate the site profiles for planning (comparing existing and proposed etc.) and for sales so that they can see the garden slopes.

I can generate two independent site models, have them on two independent layers and then view generate the sections etc. Only thing is that I have to generate everything twice.

The problem was in this case the engineer had only modelled the altered area so the existing survey model and the proposed model didn't marry up (as far as the extents were concerned. I had to trace round the proposed contour model, trim it from the existing survey model and then combine the two into a single drawing which would then match the extents of the survey.

Thanks anyway.

Kevin.