2D Selection Behaviour

Draw a largish rectangle and turn this into a symbol - make sure it is un-filled.

With the 2D selection tool and the rectangular selection mode enabled, hold the alt key (windows) and select "nothing" inside the symbol - Notice the symbol is selected even though no lines are touched/crossed.

Now try it with the lasso selection mode enabled - Notice the symbol is not selected - as it shouldn't be because none of the lines are touched/crossed.

This is an annoying bug with the rectangular selection mode.

BG

VW9.5.2

WINXP

BG, I'm not sure this is a bug. You can achieve the same effect by making the unfilled rectangle a group. With "Alt + click" you are then selecting, not the object, but the "container" object, which has extents similar to what the filled rectangle would have.

In my version, the lasso selection tool has to completely surround an object to select it, so that there is no difference in behavior between selected a filled rectangle, an unfilled rectangle, or a group (or symbol) containing a rectangle.

VW 10.1

[ 04-15-2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Yes, the same effect does happen with a group.

From our point of view it is definitely a bug. Nothing should be selected unless it is crossed.

On our version the lasso selection mode works correctly so we will use this method in the future.

Is it the same in Version 10?

Thanks

BG

Yes, it's the same in version 10.

The guiding principle seems to be that an Alt selection box that touches any part of the theoretical rectangle formed by the most extreme points of a container object selects that object. So, for example, a triangle turned into a group or symbol can be selected without the lasso touching or even being inside the triangle.

I agree with you that it shouldn't be that way. The container object should be selected only if one of its constituent elements would have been selected.

THis is a wish list -not a bug.

When talking about symbols -

The Alt+click selection will select an object when any coordinate within the BOUNDING BOX of that symbol is accessed.

You do not have to click on or inside of the object to select it. The definition of the symbol includes the bounding box.

When the object is just a plain polygon for example - the alt key will only select the object when a point along the perimeter of the object is acessed.

I will add this to the wish list for review by the engineers.

Thank you, Katie.

The problem from the users' point of view is that we can't see that "bounding box", or even see where it would fall (unless the container object happens to be a different color than everything else); so we have no control over what's being selected.

When I first started using MiniCad and discovered this behavior, I simply stopped using Alt-selection except in cases where I know there are no container objects present. I've always thought of it as a defect in the program, but didn't mind so much since the program has enough well-designed selection techniques that I can easily get along without it.

BG,

Though I can understand your example and your wish, I can see major problems in implementing it from NNA'a point of view. Symbols are efficient containers for having (potentially) lots of objects on the screen, without the overhead of really having those objects. Your request is not unreasonable, but it may require more computing horsepower than most of us have on our desks right now.

Consider a symbol with 15 rectangles, circles or polygons, some filled, some not. Now consider having 200 or more of those symbols drawn on a page. To get the performance you desire, VW would need to treat each symbol as the multitude of objects it contains. Redraw times would skyrocket, and everyone would complain. Also, RAM requirements would be much, much higher. So, instead of dealing with 200 objects on the screen, VW would have to deal with 3000 objects. Not the best example, but I hope you can see what I'm getting at. In the simple case you describe, it does seem quite doable, but when taken to extremes, even simple things can be daunting.

On another note, I have gotten used to selecting objects as VW has always done, and consider symbols as solid filled objects. At least that is how they react when being selected. My work habits have evolved around this feature, so I, for one, would not like to see it change, but that is just me.

As with all modality changes that get implemented, I hope NNA sets them up with preferences, as I really dislike relearning a product I have happily lived with for more than 13 years.

Raymond

If what Raymond says is true, that making the proposed change would slow VW down, then I, too, would say leave it as is.

The general trend of wish list items is to ask that VectorWorks do everything anyone can think of (and also everything that Brand X does), without regard for the fact that it all has a cost. We should be wishing only for critical improvements. The most troubling aspect of the program in recent years, and more of a problem than most of the wish list issues I've read, is how sluggish it's gotten.