Combining Two Files

Carrie C.

I am having an issue with trying to combine two separate files into one. I have one file that the set was designed on and and I began to apply lighting to, however it did not contain the whole theatre. The second file contains the whole RCP of the theatre and the building is built in 3D in this file. I now would like to combine the two files together so I do not have to start over applying the lighting. The first file when brought into the second is very small, is this because the measurement was not set in the second file as it is in the first? I tried using the CAD way of importing the two files with no good results either it is to small or it disappears. What can I do to bring these two together?

Are these two separate Vectorworks files or did they originate in a different format? Are you cutting and pasting to bring the two files together?

It seems odd that one is smaller than the other. While VW allows different design layer scales the objects are technically all still their true dimensions. It sound like the set drawings may have been drawn in scale somehow. You could select all of those objects and use Modify>Scale Objects

The best way to combine files is to start with a clean file or choose one of the existing files as the base file. Create a new design layer. When the dialog box comes up click on Import Design Layers (the second option). Click on the Choose button and navigate to the file you want to bring into the base file. When you choose the file and click Open the layers from the file will be listed. Choose the ones you want from the list. Make sure to click the Import Layer Objects checkbox. When you hit OK those layers and object will be brought into the current file. You may have to change the imported layer(s) layer scale to match the existing layers in the Organization Dialog.

Kevin

Thank you Kevin.

To answer your question, yes they are two separate VW files. I tried cutting and pasting like I would in AutoCAD into the VW file and when that did not work I went to importing into the scenic file and then voice versa into the RCP file. However, the new VW file that contained the whole theatre RCP I imported from a dfw file so I don't know if that had anything to do with why the scenic file was smaller or not when I tried to import it into he RCP file. I did look to see if the scaling was different between the two files and it didn't seems so but I will try your steps next to see if this resolves the issue.

Thx,

Carrie

Carrie,

Joining two separate files using the same technology as AutoCAD doesn't wok in VW. I.ei inserting a file as block then exploding it.

The only way to combine files that I am aware of is to join the two files together by importing the layers and objects.

Let me explain:

1. Create a new file (with blank template).

2. In the navigation palette, create a new layer, but instead of selecting "Create a new layer name" choose "Import Design Layers".

3. Using the "Choose" button navigate to the file you want to import from an select it.

4. The layers in the VW file will now appear in the dialogue box - Select the layer, but remember to also ensure that the "Import layer objects" check box is ticked.

Repeat for the layers you want to import in all the files you want to import from. If there are layers of the same name - VW will add a suffix the the new year -1, -2 and so on.

Doing it this way will bring in layer heights etc.

Hope this helps.

Kevin.

^ I would do it the same way.

It is also a way to "repair" a file if strange problems occured.

The only draw back is that you will lose all :

- Saved Views

- Viewports

- Story Settings + Assignments

- Default Story Level Settings

And don't forget to set the same Custom User Origin for the blank file,

if you had one for the original file, before you import your Layers.