Saving Files, main file, backup file

I must be missing something on the newer VW versions.

I have autosave turned on for "every 15 minutes"

autosave a backup copy to:

A backup is put in the backup folder which is good.

But, the original file is not saved with the work done! It has to be manually saved.

The other option is "Overwrite original file".

But, then the backup is not saved. Both can not be done. ??

I don't think you can do both but that would be a good wishlist item. I think the intention is that whenever you overwrite the original file, you're doing it consciously, either by choosing to hit save or by overriding the normal backup setup.

As an aside, I would recommend setting your Autosave options to number of operations rather than a unit of time. Its generally been found to cause less problems (ie. crashes or file corruption) because a backup always occurs between operations.

Kevin

The backup files are pretty much the same as saving the original file. If I crash, I first open the original file to see when I last did the manual save. If I see that I'm missing a lot of work because I didn't manually save for awhile, I just open up the most recent backup file.

As soon as I crash, I note the time to see how recent the backup files are.

And I quickly got into the habit of manually saving before any really complex operations.

In addition I start a completely new version periodically. So I might start with Drawing1. But at the beginning of the next week, I might save it as Drawing2 and continue. This is good if you want to go back farther than the autobackup to fetch something. The Drawing1 files will never be overwritten.

Jim

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I never liked the naming of the feature. Auto"Save" implies that it will be using the Save function, but in Vectorworks it is only related to the backup copy unless you are saving over the original which I don't advise doing unless you have an external backup system in place in addition to Vectorworks'.

Once a user is aware of how it works, its fine, but ideally this should be made more fail resistant so that users aren't inadvertently losing work the first time they rely on the feature.

I am fairly sure I have wishlisted both a checkbox for something like "AutoSave should also trigger a Save operation" in the Autosave preferences, as well as renaming the feature AutoBackup or something that doesn't imply its saving if it isn't going to... save. Adding this thread to that case now.

The backup files are pretty much the same as saving the original file. If I crash, I first open the original file to see when I last did the manual save. If I see that I'm missing a lot of work because I didn't manually save for awhile, I just open up the most recent backup file.

As soon as I crash, I note the time to see how recent the backup files are.

And I quickly got into the habit of manually saving before any really complex operations.

In addition I start a completely new version periodically. So I might start with Drawing1. But at the beginning of the next week, I might save it as Drawing2 and continue. This is good if you want to go back farther than the autobackup to fetch something. The Drawing1 files will never be overwritten.

Jim

This is all good advice. I used to follow a similar naming convention until a few years ago. Now I periodically save a progress archive of a project file (Save A Copy As), adding "Archive" and the current date to the end of the file name. The reason for changing to this method was so the original file maintained the same filename through the entire project.

Kevin

Kevin,

I like your idea of saving an "archive" file and will add that to my work flow. I mean, how many times does a disapproved or discarded, concept recirculate later?

I sort of do that anyway, dating drawings as PROJECT X - CD - REV TO 2015.11.23.09 with 09 being the nearest hour (with the year first and 0 being necessary in single digit numbers to keep the file chronological). Should probably add V2 or whatever after the REV part.

I especially save separate copies of the original base as a stand alone document (somehow, from time to time, these things get modified inadvertently) the final concept plan as a base for DD, the final DD for the base of the CD, etc.

Probably a waste of disk space, I know, but some peace of mind in case of disaster is probably worth it. With the VW crashing problem, it is typical to have to reopen a doc from the backup file and see what you lost.

As noted elsewhere, crashing seems to have increased in VW16, even using the save after so many actions setting. I also just downloaded a new graphics card driver to make sure that wasn't the issue.

Same here.

Because of things like references, there is only ONE working file.

If I want to save a certain Version of the Project, it will be saved

as a Copy called FileName_YYYY-MM-DD_Version-XXXX

I still don't understand the VW backup files.

They have the same File Size and Preview Icon as the original File.

If VW crashes, I also search for my original File in Finder to check the date

to estimate how much data I lost. Then I check the Backup files time/date.

If it is much more current, I reopen VW directly with that Backup from Finder.

It loads, sometimes it says it would do some things, which takes some time,

I check the file to realize how much work you can lose even in 8 minutes but

better than nothing,

Save As "original File Name" to overwrite the Original at "original Position"

and go on working.

Still don't know what VW will do when it says that it does reload something when

opening a backup file.

Would it work the same if I copy an original file into my backup folder and rename it

according to other Backup files ?

Had another crash this morning, while cleaning up a file for a new base map. I opened the old one, saved a copy as XXX, and then it crashed before my 100 operations save setting.

I can't find any evidence of the new file in my files, backup files, etc. I take it, VW doesn't save a new drawing until its actually saved once or closed and saved?

Sort of OT, but go from forum back to drawing, and for the third time today, VW crashes when I click "Use Default Attributes" on line I just drew from another class that I wanted to change.

I think we just discussed this in another topic, but would appreciate not having to look through it if anyone recalls a simple answer off the top of their head. Thanks.